1.13 | Few Words + Evening Activities

Start from the beginning

I peeled the shirt off my face catching a faint scent of Arnav's cologne. The boy slept here sometimes but did he leave his clothes here too? She walked over to take it from my hand and dropped it in a pile.

"Sorry babes, I'm just trying to clean out things my stupid brother left here. I had you and Riddhima move in here so I wouldn't have to stay with him but look at him! He still sleeps here all the time. Now though, since Anjali di is still here, I can move his stuff back to his place and he can't yell at me for kicking him out."

I teased though with a smile of pure proud on my face, "Ever the opportunist."

She winked, "You know it. Hey, how did your exam go?"

"Good, I guess. I don't expect more than a B." I answered while walking to my room to leave my bag.

"That's still good. What are you going to be doing now?"

"I have some assignments to complete but they're due later in the week. Why?"

She followed me to my room and leaned back against the doorframe, "Do you want to come with me? We'll just drop off his stuff really quick and then we can go get ice-cream or something."

I negotiated, "How about cheese cake?" I still have a slight fever. I shouldn't eat ice-cream.

And that is how I ended up locked in Arnav's room.

Okay, let me explain. Kripa needed help carrying his stuff up to his place and she made me help her so she wouldn't have to make a second trip. Then she had to use the restroom. I was waiting by the living area when I heard a voice outside the door I thought was very familiar. Some guy. Probably his flat mates but the more I listened, the more I feared it.

My heart had picked up its pace and my nerves were all over the place.

The person was on the other side of the door so I couldn't hear it clearly but there was something. I get jumpy easily these days and so I ended up going into his room to wait for Kripa. I shut the door behind me and tried to control my breathing. I shut my eyes to forget the voice that haunted my nights and days.

It's not real. He can't be here. He is not here. You're safe. Safe. Yes... safe.

I gasped and my eyes snapped open when the door pushed open. Out of instinct, I walked backwards thinking I could put distance between us.

Oh.

Arnav.

A sense of relied resulted in a lone tear escaping down my cheek and a breath escaping my lips. What was he doing here? I hadn't heard him. The voice I had heard was someone else.

His brow knitted on seeing me, "Khushi?"

I whispered more to convince myself, "It's you," and wiped my wet cheek.

He looked back towards the open door and gently closed it behind him, "Why do you look so rattled? What are you doing here?"

I managed to speak one work, "Kripa..." and just then, Kripa's voice interrupted from the other side as she knocked on the door.

"Arnav, did you lock this door? Open it! Is Khushi inside? I thought she might have gone to wait in the car but she's not in there."

He opened his mouth ready to answer when I fervently shook my head pleading for him not to and placing my finger on my lips. I don't want her to see me rattled like this. He was confused but abided, "Uh, yea. I'm changing so obviously she's not in here."

"Are you lying?" Kripa didn't believe him.

He nodded for me to get behind the door and in one swift move, tugged his shirt over his head. My heart jumped in its place and eyes darted to the floor feeling beyond nervous even though I knew he wouldn't try anything. He opened the door just enough for her to see him in the process of changing and to peek inside the room to confirm for herself.