Tomorrow, the League. The Next Day, Team Flare

"You're just a kid on a quest. To be the best of the best. Someday you're destined for power and glory. You know you're up to the test. There's only one way to tell this story!"

***

Alya's PoV

I let out a high pitch squeak as I narrowly jumped out of the way of a very hot and powerful Flamethrower attack. It slammed against the wall where I stood merely seconds before. I got back to my feet and sent a glare towards Alain. I looked back and took in the large burn mark that scarred the metal wall of Lysander Labs. Alain wanted to come here for more... professional training.

I put my hands on my hips and turned back to the boy and his Charizard that stood across the battlefield. He opened his mouth to say something, before a pair doors at the side of the room opened and Malva of the Elite Four stepped in.

"Congratulations on making it to the finals," she started, walking towards Alain. We put our battle on hold for moment, thanks to her interruption. Flygon let out a small sigh and retreated from the field to rest at my side. "I guess for you, the finals will be a piece of cake as well, or what do you think?"

"Don't interfere," he grunted, pushing past her and over to me. "I'm in the middle of preparing," he tossed over his shoulder, and he inspected me for any scrapes and bruises.

"Right..." she trailed off. I gave him a small smile and a nod, reassuring him I was indeed okay. "I didn't think you'd think to enter the Kalos League. Then again, if you're aspiring to become the strongest, I guess it's no wonder." Alain closed his eyes and sighed at her words. I could very well tell that he didn't want to keep this conversation going.

"This fight has nothing to do with being the strongest. I just..." he looked down at the ground under his feet. I placed a hand on his shoulder, looking past him at Malva with narrowed eyes. "...wanted to fight... him."

"You mean Ash? The fact that you think about him so much... must make him happy. What do you think, Alya?" she asked, turning away from us. I could here the smirk in her voice. Alain whipped around, now facing the back she turned to us.

"What are you trying to say?" he asked fiercely. "What about you? Which of your faces is the real you?" She laughed lightly and headed back to the door.

"It seems you'll soon be done collecting Mega Evolution energy, too. Once you saved Chespin... what will you do next?" Malva inquired, looking over her shoulder. Alain's face grew hard as he pondered the question.

"It's none of your business," he finally answered in a gruff tone.

"You're right," she shrugged and finally disappeared through the door where she entered. I bit my lip and dropped my hand that was on his shoulder, instead grabbing his hand.

"Let's take a break. You should relax before the big battle tomorrow," I suggested. He nodded and led the way out of the building. We'd been in there for so long, night had fallen. When we exited, he pulled out his hologram device and inspected the Mega Evolution chart.

"Just a bit more, and we'll have collected enough," he murmured and put the device away. He glanced down at our joined hands, our matching bracelets catching both of our attention. The black band didn't mean as much to me as it did him. It was just a reminder that I was helping Team Flare do something bad, something I'm sure meant trouble. But to Alain, it meant helping his friend, maybe his only friend before me, Ash, Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie.

"Can we talk for a bit?" a voice asked, snapping us out of our thoughts. At the sound of another presence, Alain and I instantly broke apart, putting some distance in between us. "No, it's okay. You don't have to hide from me. It wasn't hard to figure out the relationship you two have. Alain doesn't spend time with anyone unless he really likes them."

A large blush spread across my cheeks as we turned around to see Professor Sycamore standing just a few feet away from us. Alain looked startled to see him standing there. He seemed to freeze, not knowing what to say.

"I-it's good to see you, Professor. Sorry we haven't gotten around to visit you since being in Lumiose," I apologized, even though I knew Alain made a point to me that he didn't want to see his former employer. Sycamore just waved us off and patted Charizard on the head.

"There were many things I wanted to talk to you about, Alain, but I can't manage to put it into words," he sighed sadly. It made me wonder if I should leave the two alone, but Alain shuffled closer to me, making me realized he wanted the comfort of me through the conversation.

"Are you angry... that I didn't come back?" Alain asked tentatively.

"No. I heard... that you assist Lysander with his work. Both of you actually."

"I can't... expose you to any danger," he muttered, glancing between the both of us. "The energy emitted during Mega Evolution is said to be of great value. There are people who would do anything to abuse that power." I nodded solemnly at his side.

"So, you distanced yourself from me for my own sake?" he asked incredulously.

"I can't go back now," Alain frowned. "I've lost even more now than... I had before I set off on my journey. Until I get it back...There's another reason why I have to get stronger."

"Why we both have to," I butted in, giving Alain a look that only he would understand.

"You should do as you please," Sycamore nodded with a smile on his face. "Good luck to you in the final tomorrow." With that, he walked past us, most likely heading back to his lab. Alain turned back around to face me, a new look of determination on his face.

"Tomorrow, the League. The next day, Team Flare."