X vs. Y: The League Begins

"So many choices; How do we know? So many places; Where do we go? What should I say? What should I do? Still, we're together: me and you!"

***

Alya's PoV

"Hurry up! Your match is about to start!" I called over my shoulder to Alain as we rushed towards the large building where the battles were being held. He made a grumbling noise as he caught up to me. I may or may not have gotten up late this morning, making us run a bit late.

I did feel quite bad. It's the first day of the competition and his first battle, but I was making us behind. We rushed into the building just as dozens of Fletchling's were released from a large pokéball at one end of the battle field. Fireworks shot up and exploded in the sky. The opening ceremony was just beginning.

The two of us ran through the tunnel that led into the room where competitors would wait for their time to battle. I faintly heard Diantha's voice as she gave her speech while I helped Alain get ready. He was a bit disheveled from our run here. I giggled a bit as I straightened his scarf and fixed his hair.

"Diantha is almost finished. You need to head out there," I told him. He didn't show much emotion toward the upcoming match, but that was expected of him. Me, on the other hand, I was buzzing with excitement and nerves. This is his first match. It will determine how the rest of them go. If he loses, then that's it. He's done.

"Cheer for me?"

"I'll cheer the loudest," I promised. We both smiled, and he pulled me in for a quick kiss. It was risky, knowing another competitor could walk in. I didn't mind though. We pulled away shortly after it began and walked out another connecting tunnel that would lead us to the platform where Alain would stand, just above the field.

"Fighting in the opening battle will be competitors Trevor and Alain!" the announcer called just as we stepped through the sliding doors. The tunnel still stretched on, but now that we were outside, the crowd was almost deafening. I gripped his hand tightly, walking as slowly as possible until we reached the spot where the tunnel ended and we would be revealed. I dropped his hand and turned to him.

"I would tell you to go out there and crush him, but I like Trevor, so be a little less emotionless," I suggested with a sweet smile. Alain sighed and smiled sheepishly.

"I'll try my best. But I'm going to win."

"I wouldn't have it any other way." I pecked him on the cheek and took a few steps back from the opening of the tunnel, letting him walk out. Cheers grew even louder when both boys took their spots on the platform.

"Until the semifinals, the battles will be three-on-three. Also, the field will be selected randomly. All right, the field that will adorn the opening battle is..." he trailed off, watching the terrain of the field slowly rise up and lock into place. "This one! The water and rock field!" The whole thing was covered in rock. Only a small waterfall that fell into a stream that split the field in half stood out.

"Both of you, please send out your first Pokémon," a Pokémon official referee called out, stepping up onto the sidelines. I turned around and dashed through the way we came. I ran down a whole flight of stairs and back outside. I dodged several security guards until I stood next to the referee. He was going to have the best view, and I didn't want to miss this battle. He looked at me weirdly when I skid to a stop and took several deep breaths.