| 20. FOES REUNITED

BOOK TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY

( FOES REUNITED )

     THE FOUR OF US WERE IN A BAD SHAPE — by that I meant, you wouldn't see us being a barbershop quartet any time soon. Johanna's starved body was attempting to drag Beetee across the beach in almost a state of pure agony. The two were drenched in thick, hot blood and their skin barely visible from the liquid burning to it from the sun. A part of me had wished that the dreadful night had lingered along a tad longer, as the heat wouldn't have been able to burn us like prize cattle for the Capitol's feasting, but at least the beach was a little more comforting than the jungle.

     Wiress wandered a little alarmingly behind us, purring and pronouncing her little war chant over and over again, driving the rest of us to near insanity. If it weren't for Johanna's constant insults thrown her way, my mind would have already given up. However, the news that sunrise had called and the sky had merged into a beautifully bright blue certainly lifted our collective spirit.

     But in the distance my eyes reached a figure. Three figures, actually, each as beaten and battered as the others. My feet grounded themselves in the sand, my face cowering in the mask of thick, sweltering blood.

     "Johanna," I whispered, "Can you see them?" Her gaze flicked from mine to the distance, the slightest expression of hope glimmering slowly onto the details of her face. Then I saw something I had never suspected I'd see again, a smile. It crept up onto the frown placed on her lips and lifted the atmosphere around us. "Who is it?" I asked, curiosity overwhelming my senses. However, at that moment, I feared we had been spotted, as a weapon was pulled back defensively on the horizon line and a paralleled stance taken from our opposing advances.

     "Johanna! Silver!"

     "Finnick!" She replied, quickly followed by my own call to the fellow Victor. As if by instinct, she released Beetee from her grasp to race forward to her friend. Our feet powered forward, pushing us toward the last hope gifted from fate that resided before us, equally accepting of our invitation to reunite once more. Yet, even in my eyesight, I glanced around his tanned frame, only to find Katniss and Peeta staggering on behind him, half-hearted grins upon there faces, which allowed me again to ponder over their enjoyment of our bloodied body joining them in their endeavours through the arena.

     At last, with my rush to the District Four Victor finally halting, Finnick held me tightly in an embrace, smiling warmly at Johanna whilst he did so.