| 07. THE PAST'S STING

BOOK TWO
CHAPTER SEVEN

( THE PAST'S STING )

"I WISH YOU WELL, my dear. Thank you for saving my life."

I took Mabel quickly into my arms, my hand stroking across her withered grey hair, and smiled graciously for her hospitality over the last two years of my life. I was doing that for her - entering these final Hunger Games - as I knew that even I had a somewhat small chance of success, but she definitely did not. And the fact this was the last time the four of us were going to be together was frightening, even less so that only one of us at the maximum was going to leave this alive.

Mabel quickly released from our embrace, patting the top of my back for a brief moment, and stepped aside. In return, Corey made his way towards me, ignoring the fact that we were receiving many glances of concern from passers-by heading towards the Justice Building. As he placed his hand on my shoulder, Bradley perched his head around into our view and smiled an almost fake smile of regret.

He coughed for a short while until he said, "Have you told her yet?"

"Told me what?"

"Whoever's chosen is staying," Corey announced whilst trailing his hand through his scruffy black hair. "There'll be no volunteering from either of us."

I nodded, proving my uncertainty of what was to come of the pair of them. The duo from District 10. They became Victors within three years of each other's success; Corey surviving first at the age of eighteen and Bradley at seventeen. I heard it was the most wonderful time to have lived in the District, before the winning streak had grown tiresome and old. The people had to wait eighteen more years to have seen another come home from the arena, and that was me.

Holding onto both Corey and Bradley for what could be our last ever hug together, I emitted a small, pleased smile in happiness that the last two years of my life was spent with the best people I could ever have met. At long last, they let go and waved at me as the Peacekeepers came to collect the, for the readings.

"Can I say goodbye too?" I pivoted on my heels to see a slightly down ridden looking Will, again showing the cold hearted shadows under his eyelids. He appeared like he had just been beaten up from the inside out, trying to wipe away the scars from his memories with me. And, I don't think yesterday helped one bit.

"Goodbye, William."

"See you on the outside."

His voice was rough as his lips formed those words.

As he took a step forward to plant a small yet unforgiving kiss on my forehead, I whispered, "I promise."

Then a hand wrapped itself around my upper arm and dragged my body away from his. He glanced at me with disbelief in my swear like it would be next to impossible for me to fulfil it, but I knew his thoughts shared my hope. At least I thought he did.

The black gloved hand that trapped my arm in itself pulled me over towards a sincere appearing Mabel standing behind the vast amount of District 10 citizens that stood before the Justice Building. She grinned for a short moment before we were pushed along to walk down the isle leading to the platform at the front. My stride weakened as the both of us got further towards it and my mind entered into a haze of memories. It was no more that two years ago since I had trodden my way down the cobbled path surrounded by a cloud of silence. The sparrows had returned to the sky, blissfully gliding above us, unaware of the slaughter that was meant to begin in less than a week. The weather grew slowly to an old mist above us and then it was time.

I faced the audience in front of us and their eyes dug back into our souls almost as if they needed them. A flash of relief scanned across their pale cheeks, yet I knew that a mask of fear was hidden in the shadows of their minds. The children were safe this year, but if the Capitol could do such damage to Victors, what was to come for the rest of them?

"Welcome, welcome." I stretched my head over my right shoulder to see an abundance of blues and greens dressed onto one person. She gazed over at me for a small moment before turning back to the audience. I could even see fear in Atlanta's as well. "It is time to pick the woman and man to represent District Ten and participate in the third Quarter Quell."

She gulped as her gaze turned back to mine, "Ladies first." Her heels clicked against the stone platform that the large bowl lay on, but the contents were scarce and only two small paper slips rested against the bottom of the glass. Atlanta's fingers dived into the bowl and curled around a single one. She eventually took a breath post to reading out a name that didn't matter anyway. "Silver Quinn."

In response to her announcement, I stepped away from Mabel's side and stood before the crowd expressionless. My fingers were knotted in my grasp and the sweat that trickled down my arms with fear made them slowly slip away from my safety. Inside, I sighed a deep, long, heavy sigh of disappointment in myself. I could have trained harder. I could have trained longer. I could have trained to become stronger. It was too late now.

Atlanta shuffled over to the other side of the stage, striding over to the identical bowl with, again, only two names present in it. Her hand reached in and collected the final piece of paper.

One would be my ally. One would be my Mentor.

"Bradley Renfrewshire —"

"I volunteer as Tribute."

I tracked the voice coming from beside me and saw Corey pushing aside a rather annoyed Bradley. His face crumpled up into a scowl fit for murder as Corey betrayed their agreement. They both said neither of them would volunteer.

"Do we have a volunteer?" Atlanta asked to the audience somewhat sarcastically, obviously not expecting an answer as per usual. "Name?"

"Corey Hayden."

Her smile decreased quickly as she obviously realised that her chances of getting rid of Bradley was not to be. She grinned back at the audience whilst an extremely apologetic Corey stepped forward on the opposite side of Atlanta.

"So, here are our Tributes from District Ten: Silver Quinn and Corey Hayden!"

And that single sentence kickstarted the beginning of the end.