| 14. HOPELESSNESS RISES

BOOK TWO
CHAPTER FOURTEEN

( HOPELESSNESS RISES )

"WHO INVITED HER!?" Bradley screeched from the landing, racing down the stairs in a fit of rage. His hair was flicking back behind his ears as he raced, attempting to reach the area in which Haymitch, Corey and I were sat.

A feminine chuckle could be heard from the opposite sofa. "I invited myself, Mr Renfrewshire," Effie Trinket, the infamous escort for District Twelve, announced eloquently, her hand wrapped around a rather large package - of what? I didn't really know. However, what ever it was, it wasn't likely intended for us, as she clutched it in her hands protectively.

"Of course you did. Of course." As Bradley replied he landed on the sofa with a heavy thud, probably due to the unexpected arrival of Effie (who now proved Bradley's hate for Capitol escorts).

Her eyes flicked instinctively up towards my mentor with smugly formed lips before adding, "I, whether you like or not, am as much as part of this as you are. So, for the benefit of this discussion, we are obliged to remain in silence." She returned her gaze to it's previous state, fixated on the outer scenery past the windows that lined the walls of the room. Her hand travelled up to her golden wig soon after to adjust it, almost as if she couldn't help but rub her statement towards Bradley's way solely to allow her message to implant itself inside his thoughts.

"Can we just focus on the subject matter here, please?" I asked the two, clearly annoyed by the pointless arguing and attempting to divert the conversation to the original topic, which was – of course – the same one every conversation was based upon in the last couple of months.

"Miss Quinn is right, believe it or not. You two need to shut up," Haymitch announced from the sidelines, carefully making his way between the two sofas from behind Effie's shadow.

Unsure whether he was agreeing with me or insulting me, I replied with a murmur, "Thanks... Haymitch."

The next few moments were nonetheless awkward than the last. Silence hung in the air like clouded fog would do, and everyone appeared to feel uncomfortable in their seats. I could see why. Technically we were now dealing with a possible enemy (or ally), and so we all had to be unusually careful. The only person who didn't seem irregular sat to the left of me, still trying to cherish a full night's sleep midday. To be honest, I wished that I could applaud Corey's efforts for being so naturally calm in this situation, but now felt like completely the wrong time.

After long last, Haymitch reinstated the point at hand.

"Katniss, as stubborn as she usually is, isn't up for this whole alliance thing," he told in his sorry attempt to disguise his awful hangover that slurred somewhere in his voice, "She thinks you're all a little bit shady for her liking, so forming her trust won't be an easy task."