The Only

I'll never forget the day it all started. The mothership had been there for weeks now, hovering over us, seeming friendly. But that day was different. That day the aliens were everywhere, pacing back and forth up and down the streets outside our school. It was hard to ignore the fact that they no longer seemed friendly.

It's a normal day at school. Lauren, Billy, and I are in third period. American Lit. Suddenly we go into code blue, meaning we get away from all windows, turn out the lights, be completely silent, and pretend no one's home.

But they already know we're in here, so what's the point anyway?

Mr. Sides said they aliens outside were getting restless, shooting down anyone who walked down the streets. He said if one got into the building no one would make it out alive. So we should probably get away from the windows and shut up.

We're laying on the cold floor, trying to finish our work in the dark. I am, not unlike all the other students, texting frantically. My two favorite people are on my message board, Jesse, the only male I would trust with my life, and Timmy, who went to our sister school. I'd only had a crush on him forever.

TIMOTHY: are u ok? Wats happening?

I opened the message and replied: im fine. Idk. R u ok?

TIMOTHY: yeah. freaking out, but ok.

TIMOTHY: im leaving school now. B there in 15

I smiled. He's coming to make sure I'm okay. I answered : be safe :)

JESSE: they're in the building. I heard them in the room next to me. I might be next.

I looked up from my phone. I could hear footsteps down the hall. I typed again: don't think like that! Maybe they just dropped in for a pizza.

I can hear the gunshots now. They yelling of angry aliens and the screaming of terrified passerby. I can literally see a building fall over into the street out the window.

JESSE: something tells me they're not here 4 pizza

Mr. Sides lines us up against the wall and tells us to play opossum. Lauren is crying and Billy is clutching his necklace - a dog tag with BILLY AND SAM carved into it.

I hear footsteps coming down the hall. I grab Lauren's hand and tell her we should play dead now. She nods and closes her eyes, and I do the same, just as the door opens and two men burst in, both carrying AK-47s.

I watch them through barely closed eyelids. The one in the front nods to us, lined up asleep.

"Look at how innocent they appear," one says, "they shall be spared, for now, at least."

"Wait," the other says, and I hear his feet shuffling closer. He passes me and stops in front of someone on my left. "This one is not innocent." He puts the nozzle of his gun under Billy's chin. Billy spits on him. "Go to Hell." Billy yells. The first man nods, and the second pulls the trigger.

I am afraid that I, too, am dead, until the blinding light goes away and my hearing comes back. I open my eyes and find that the men are gone. Mr. Sides, who was hiding under his desk, drags Billy's body into the closet.

I pick up my phone.

I'm really scared now. They just killed billy

TIMOTHY: billy? wtf do they want with us? u ok?

My fingers shook over the keyboard as I typed: I think so. For now at least

JESSE: that sounded close 2 ur class. wat happened?

I answered: they shot billy. he's dead and im scared. they're coming back

Mr. Sides motions for us to be quiet, pointing to the door before he slips back behind his desk.