Goodbyes

Ezra didn't come back.

A part of Terrell hoped that the boy would blow off steam, apologize, and things would be just like usual. They weren't.

The second night, Terrell moodily sat in a chair where he had a clear view of the door. He drummed his fingers on the arm rest.

Roman watched him from across the room before turning to Marcus. The boy whispered something and got a nod in return. They were keeping their distance, not sure about a moody Terrell's actions. Most of the teens found an excuse to go out, choosing to avoid any conflict. Only four brave ones remained.

"You know..." Troy spoke from where he casually leaned on a counter.

Roman made a frantic motion for him to keep quiet. He was ignored.

"The kid left. You should leave it at that and concentrate on what's important."

Terrell didn't respond.

"From what I can gather." Troy straightened and then stretched. "He's probably putting together a crew as we speak and aiming for the top."

"You sure we shouldn't be keeping an eye on him for the sake of everything we've worked for?" Marcus joined.

Roman put a hand over his eyes, shaking his head in the process.

"I mean," Marcus continued, "who knows who he'll tell?"

"He won't." Noah slid down the ladder from the second floor. He shot a glance from Terrell to the door. "Ezra has enough loyalty to Terrell for that."

"Loyalty?" Troy raised an eyebrow. "Is that what you call it?"

Terrell leaned forward and propped his chin in a hand.

"Where do you think he went?" Roman ventured.

"Probably sulking," Marcus muttered.

"Racing," Troy voiced at the same time.

"Nah." Noah chimed in. "He isn't racing."

Eyes turned on him.

"What makes you say that?" Troy challenged.

Noah nodded to the far corner. Heads turned and the teens caught sight of the sleek board propped against the wall.

"He didn't take it," Noah pointed out. He shot a sidelong glance at Terrell. "Probably too prideful to come back for it, too..." He scratched his head. "I'm sure he'd be grateful if it was returned though."

Terrell dropped the arm.

"Huh." Marcus snorted. "If he left it, it's his loss."

Troy nodded. "Wherever he is now, it's got nothing to do with us since he's out."

For the first time, Terrell's eyes left the door. They turned to the boy who had spoken. "I never said he was out," he said flatly.

Troy calmly returned the gaze.

"Whether you said it or not. He left pretty easily and hasn't come back." Marcus crossed his arms.

Terrell jumped to his feet. He rotated on one heel and strode to the board propped up against the wall. Grabbing it, he tucked it under and arm while motioning for his own board. It shot out from the shadows. The teen turned to the door.

"Whoa. Hold on a minute." Marcus stepped forward so that he was between Terrell and the exit.

Troy looked like he was ready to join while Roman held back, watching the exchange.