Brotherhood

Standing in front of a beat up building, the boys faced a potential disaster.

They stood side by side, gazing through grimy windows, breathing in the smell or freshly made pasta. However, they ventured no further. It was Ezra who brought the problem to their attention.

"I'm out of points. Someone will have to cover me," he announced when Terrell caught up with the rest.

Sven lifted his hand. He tapped on the bracelet surrounding his wrist and a holographic screen popped up, hovering in the air. "I'm basically at zero. Only have enough for one," he said after a moment. He turned to Noah who stood beside him.

"Ran out at breakfast."

Three pairs of eyes turned expectantly to Terrell.

"I got nothing," Terrell replied calmly. Points were the currency of Regona and he had spent his last few stocking up his supply of strawberry milk. He wasn't about to share that particular detail with the others.

There was a moment of solemn silence. All eyes returned to the interior. They boys took a whiff of the air in perfect sync.

"So hungry," Ezra groaned.

Noah nodded in agreement.

Terrell's stomach growled.

"Well," Sven cracked his neck. "Sucks to be you." He took a step to the door but three arms promptly grabbed a hold of him and pulled him back.

"Ever heard about sharing?" Ezra asked.

"Nope."

Noah made a grab for Sven's bracelet but the boy neatly pulled his arm away. A scuffle ensured.

"Whoa!" Terrell jumped in, keeping the boys apart. "Chill!"

They pulled back, their attention redirecting to him.

"We can do this in a civilized manner." Terrell nodded, as though agreeing with himself. "We should race for it."

"What?" Noah protested.

"Why?" Sven protested. "They're my points!"

"We already know who will win anyway," Ezra sided with him.

"You'll never know until you try," Terrell replied calmly.

"Not happening. My points. My meal!" Sven backed off. "Go earn your own."

Noah and Ezra turned to Terrell.

"Looks like we have no choice," Noah said. Ezra nodded in agreement.

Terrell's eyes narrowed. "Why are you looking at me?"

"We need points," came Ezra's simply reply.

"And since when has getting points for you been my job?"

"You made me pay for dinner yesterday," Ezra told him. Noah and Sven had turned to gazing back through the window.

"You chose to pay," came Terrell's response.

"You left me behind with the bill!"

Sven pointed at something and whispered to Noah.

Terrell shrugged. "Should have run faster."

Ezra opened his mouth for another response when Noah nudged him.

"What?" Ezra whirled. When Noah pointed at something Ezra froze. Then, his face split into a slow smile.

The three boys turned to Terrell, eyes gleaming. Sven crossed his hands over his chest and Noah looked mighty pleased with himself.

Terrell glanced between them. He knew those looks too well. "What?"