Chapter 1

Picture of Jake

After unpacking my bags, I laid back on my bed and let out a sigh. My mom has decided to move us again, this time Florida. Ever since my dad passed away my mom has been moving around a lot, it's like she can't get far enough away from the memories of him. I'm hoping we'll last here much longer than the last place at least.

Let me introduce myself, my name is Ashley Parker, my friends used to call me Ash for short. I live with my mom, her new husband, his evil daughter Jessica and my brother Jake. We're all 18 and will be seniors in the new high school we start tomorrow.

I went to my closet to see if I could find something half decent to wear on my first day. It's bad enough we're starting in the middle of the year, the least I could do is try to look nice. I settled on a black tank top and red skinny jeans. After getting my clothes out I decided to finish straightening my room. I loved my new room, the walls were dark blue, and I had carpet floors. Now all I needed to do was add my individualized touch to it.

Two hours later I was done, I decided to get on Facebook and see what everyone else was doing with their lives. I had two notifications from my friends back in California.

"Hey babe I'm already missing you.'' My best friend Cassie wrote on my page.

"This town is so boring without you!" Jeremy my other friend wrote.

I spent the remainder of my time talking to them until Jake called me down for dinner. My mom always insisted that we ate dinner together like a "happy" family. She was too blind to see that I dislike Jessica as much as she disliked me. When my mom first informed me that her new husband had a daughter I was ecstatic, thinking of all the things we could do together that I couldn't do with Jake. That was until I met her, and I knew we would never be friends. She was stuck up and spoiled.

After dinner I decided to shower and just call it a night. I needed to be fully awake and prepared for tomorrow.

***

The next morning, I got dressed and went downstairs to make breakfast. Jake was sitting at the table on his phone with a bowl of cereal in front of him. 

"Where's my breakfast?'' I asked Jake putting as much authority in my voice that I could. Which wasn't much.

He rolled his eyes not at all effected by my tone. "In the cabinet where you left it."

I scowled at him before going to the cabinet digging around for my favorite cereal, Frosted Flakes. Just as I grabbed the box we heard footsteps stomping down the stairs. Which could only mean one thing, Jessica was woke. I turned around to see Jessica wearing a purple mini skirt and a hot pink tank top.

"Are you going to school or the local strip club?" I smirked at her. She completely ignored me as she grabbed a granola bar and left. I looked at Jake and he just shrugged. We were used to this by now.

"I take it you're riding with me then." He announced getting up and dumping his bowl in the sink. I nodded as I hurried and finished my cereal. Both Jessica and Jake had their own cars. Jessica had hers when they moved in, and Jake got his on his seventeenth birthday. Now I'm just waiting for them to bless me with a reliable gift.

------

We pulled up at the school and my eyes widened at the sheer size of it. Was this a school or mansion? How many classrooms did this thing have?

"Are you coming with me to get our schedules?" Jake asked me as I stared open mouthed out the window.

I nodded my head as I finally got over my shock and got out of the car. Walking up the steps I received several stares from the students hanging outside. I expected this reaction, I just hope it doesn't last long. We finally made it to the office when my phone chirped in my pocket, I took it out seeing it was a text from my mom.