Chapter Six - Arabella

Not only did Jason find it hard to believe there was a secret world that Pepper was hiding from us, but he also found it difficult to believe she was keeping a boyfriend from us. Once we got into the car Jason carried the conversation right back to Tony. Tony, a man I just met, one who's possibly already saved each of our lives.

"So, Pepper how long has this boyfriend of yours actually been your boyfriend?" Jason interrogated further into Pepper's love life. "I mean really? How'd you keep him a secret? Why'd you keep him hidden from us?" When Jason continued on with the questions and by the time we pulled out of our home town, I knew I had had enough.

I pulled out the hair elastic from my light brown hair, letting it's waves sit just passed my shoulders. Then I pulled up my gray backpack onto my lap so I could grab my earbuds, soon enough I'd be carried away, into the soft melodies I'd known and loved, written by my own mother.

__________________

"Where are we going anyway?" Piper looked toward Pepper searching for her answer. She hadn't said a lot since we found Pepper, it was clear she didn't know what to think of the situation. I looked at her through the rear view mirror expecting to see tears, only there was nothing. Her whole body showed signs of weakness, but her deep blue eyes still held the strong twinkle I knew best. Slowly, Jason lifted his hand just enough to reach hers, holding to her tightly.

"We are headed to headquarters, it's in Manhattan. When we get there you'll need to listen for instructions." She replied, her eyes never once leaving the road.

Again, feeling no interest in the current conversation, I let sleep take me away from my problems.

__________________

It seemed as though no time had passed when we arrived at headquarters. The word felt weird, just like everything else this evening. How could all this happen? I thought. None of it made sense and my main goal is to figure out why.

Let's just say, headquarter's appearance wasn't at all what I was expecting. It seemed to have at least two stories to its height, but no more than four. Surprisingly, a large percentage of the walls were windows, leaving the rest a bright white. The building was wide and short, when I pictured it to be the other way around.

Pepper slowed the car down pulling up just in front of what I assumed to be the entrance. When the car came to a stop, no one moved. There wasn't a sound apart from the quiet music that still played from Jason's earbuds.

The entrance doors opened, but for some reason I couldn't stand to keep looking. I shut my eyes and turned my head covering my ears. I could feel it. I heard the sound of the car doors opening and I rushed to put my head down. Soon I knew I was the only one in the car. Gravel crunched under boots. Voices spoke, I could make them out clearly, but I refused to acknowledge what was being said. I felt faint. Someone started knocking on my window. Willing my body to look, I peeked a glance that was soon followed by the imminent darkness.