Chapter One - Arabella

I didn't know at first, but what I was about to do was going to change my life. In front of me, sat my siblings. They expected me to say something, I, expected me to say something. I knew what I wanted to say and I knew what I needed to do, but I couldn't look at them now and tell them a lie. So, I went with what every teenage girl would do in a situation like this. My hands went up to the table and pushed my chair out with a scratching noise. As soon as my hand brushed the cold doorknob, my sister barely whispered "I heard it too," I looked back at her in surprise, my hand still ready to open the door. She looked back at Piper and Jason, "Last night, after you went to bed I heard Pepper on the phone, she was arguing with the person on the other end about us staying with her. She said something about how we don't know yet, I'm not really sure what she was talking about, I couldn't hear the other end. I was actually pretty surprised I heard as much as I did for the other side of the house. I'm not sure what this means for us, if her custody of us has been questioned by someone, but I'm sure we'll be fine, Arabella." she glanced back at me as she finished.

"I heard the other end, I was in the kitchen getting a glass of water. At first I heard her, she sounded surprised, then somehow I heard him." I started, walking back to my seat. "When he spoke, it was clear, it was like not only was I the one he was talking to instead of Pepper, but like we were in the same room. He started the conversation normally, introducing himself as Erik and I figured it was one of her old friends so I started to leave, but then he asked about us. I'm sure I looked as confused as Pepper sounded, because then he mentioned mom. He said he had a right to see us, and to explain to us about "the changes" Pepper said that whatever it was it hadn't happened yet and that she didn't think it was going to. In a harsher tone he started saying something else but before he could finish Pepper hung up." I didn't realise I had been crying until, Piper handed me a tissue.

She let me calm down before asking, "Did you hear it? What he started to say."

I nodded leaning into Whitney "I think he's coming to find us."

Jason was about to say something when Pepper walked in. She was dressed in her robe, which was odd considering she was usually out of the house and on her way to work by now. She didn't have to verbalize that she didn't sleep last night, her face said it. We all gawked at her as she trekked across the kitchen floor towards the coffee machine. She didn't have to look at us to know we were questioning her presence. "I'm going in late, I have some errands to run. I can drive you all to school. Where's Jimmy? Still in bed?" She received a nod from Piper in return.

"Jason? Can you go wake up your brother? He'll make us all late. And Piper, your project is by the stairs where you left it. Why don't you take it to the car so you don't forget it."

Jason and Piper pushed out from the table and left without another word. Pepper stopped short of leaving to speak to Whitney and I. "I know you both heard me on the phone last night, I know you're both worried. Go to school today, and we'll talk about it tonight. I don't want you to worry." And with that, she left.

"I can't help but be worried, especially after what you said about hearing the other end." Whitney stated. Something like this has never happened before, so the fact that it was happening at all was definitely scary.

For her sake, I brushed it off like it was nothing. "We're blowing this way out of proportion. Let's try to forget about it 'till tonight. From there, we'll figure out what to do." I took our plates and cleaned them off quickly before grabbing my bag. I could tell what I had said hadn't truly helped her. As we were heading out I whispered, "Besides Witty, you have to worry about what you're going to do for your party this year."

"Your birthday is in a few days, you should be the one worrying. Are you and Jason having the same party or are you splitting it like you did last year?" She puzzled. Jason was my twin and the only thing we had in common was our birthday and our similar taste in music. Piper and Whitney were also twins and share a lot more than what Jason and I do. Unlike most siblings though, being close in age is an advantage to us. We all get along and share a lot of the same friends which makes it easier for Piper and Whitney who still share a party.

"We're definitely having separate parties. You know him, he goes all out and you know me, I'd just rather have a few friends over and do something small." Jason had a passion for adventure, and frankly the best adventure for a teenage boy was a party, but with our Aunt Pepper running the house the only excuse to have one was birthdays.

Pepper honks the horn obnoxiously from the driveway telling us to hurry up. I look at Whitney again, thinking of what else I could say to bring her smile back. I decide that though I wish to protect her from this, I can't seem to find a way to protect myself.