FLOWERS

By Anonymous

~

Hi there. I'm a plant, according to science. If you hadn't already guessed it, uh, I'm asexual! And aromantic! I think it was back in the fall when I figured it out? It wasn't easy lemme tell ya, hah.

Let's see, where do I start. How 'bout we just start with the beginning? I grew up in a southern christian Mormon family, and boy, were they committed. I was constantly told growing up that I wasn't ALLOWED to be ANYTHING other than straight. As a kid, I didn't care, because I didn't even know what the LGBTQ+ community was. I didn't even know that I apparently identified as straight? But, actually very recently, my feelings have changed.

When I first figured out what asexual/aromantic meant, I immediately knew that it was me. I was excited, but it took me a while to come out to even one friend, my best friend. I was relieved to find that when I told her, she completely accepted me. She didn't treat me any different than she had before I came out, and that's why she's my bestie. :3 Although, it was a completely different story with my parents...

It was my mom who I told first. One day, I just decided to be a brave soldier, and talk to her. Of course she asked questions, she didn't know what asexual/aromantic was. I answered them nervously, thinking she all of the sudden hated me, but instead she spoke to me calmly and told me that she just wants me to be happy, no matter what I choose... WOW. I WAS SURPRISED. I thought, okay well since my mom still loves me, my dad probs will too!

He didn't take it well.

When I told him, the first thing he said was,"you know that's what flowers do." "Well yeah, but that's not really what it means regarding sexuality." "What does that mean with sexuality then?" "It means you don't feel sexual or romantic attraction to either gender."

And from that, he started telling me it was probably just a phase, or a hormonal imbalance. He didn't believe it was real. He didn't want to. Since then, things have been weird-ish between us. Different. But since then, he's also been trying to understand, and I'm glad I came out to him. So far, only about three of my close friends know, and my whole family (besides the little ones, and extended family) know about it too. I'm getting there.

Good luck to anyone who decides to be an ace or aro. It's not easy, but it works out eventually! And good luck to anyone else in the LGBTQ+ spectrum, you have my full support!