21 | Cora, the Life Destroyer

Start from the beginning

"If she did, I'm sure she would've told us."

Cora's shoulders fell, defeated. Perhaps her time with Beau had come to an end. He had every reason to never want to see her again.

"In the meantime, let's get you in the shower and down for breakfast."

"Do I really have to go to school?" She yanked a loose thread in her bedspread. "That place stinks."

"Would you rather I go to jail, my dear child?"

She didn't have to answer that question.

Crumbs and Crumble Café was a perfect contender in Cora's quest to heal her rue, or at least nudge it further along

As she and Eva stood in line, she tried to find comfort in the familiarity of the sounds and smells, the no-fuss yet charming décor-shoes squeaking against the black and white vinyl flooring as the patrons in line shuffled along. Try as she might, memories of the evening she'd met Beau coursed through her mind, driving deeper the knife.

Had he told anyone she'd charmed Mrs. Campbell unconscious? If so, why hadn't she been brought in for questioning? He had no reason to protect her.

"Hello, miss distracted. Are you even listening to me?" Eva nudged her arm. "Seriously, Cora. Sometimes I wonder what goes on in that head of yours."

"I'm sorry, E. What were you saying?" She shook away her thoughts of Beau. After all, she'd done what she needed to. Break the boy. Keep her powers. Make her family proud.

Why then did it feel so wrong?

"I can't believe you missed almost five days of school," said Eva. "Lucky you. I haven't had a sick day since..." She wrinkled her nose. "I don't think I've ever had time off school."

Trust me, E. I'm nowhere near lucky.

"I wasn't all that enchanting," she admitted. School, like her mother had said, would be a good distraction. With everything going on, she wouldn't have time to think about Beau or Mrs. Campbell.

"No homework. No gross cafeteria lunches. A cute neighbor." Eva counted down on her fingers. "Sounds perfect to me."

"Not when you have four relatives, including an exasperating little sister."

"I guess so." Eva pressed her lips together. "How is Beau anyway?"

Heartbroken. Desolate. Hopeless. Choose one.

"I actually haven't seen him in a while." Cora tried to keep the deception from her voice and off her face. She chewed her bottom lip.

"That's unfortunate. Well, if anything, we can always go to prom together." Eva grabbed her hand and squeezed. "Us girls against the patriarchy."

She would've fallen into a pit of despair right there had they not been next in line to place their orders. She didn't deserve Eva who believed in her no matter what. It took all Cora's strength to remain unruffled in the light of her foulness.