54. Twenty Little Tragedies Begin

A/N: Yaaay! So I know I said I was going to do a Shadow Play update next, but this wouldn't leave me alone and I needed to get it done. Sooner these next few chapters are over the sooner we get to the wedding and I'm DYING TO WRITE IT. Miles shooting the intruder and the wedding are the two things I've been looked forward to through this whole thing. 

Anyways, I'm already half way done with the shadow play update, so it should be up within a couple days. I'm also thinking about putting it up on AO3 for the people who are having trouble reading it here. Would you read it there if I did? How many of you use AO3? 

So, I hope you like this. Let me know what you think. I love you all <333333

    The doubt that Owen had infused into Miles mind was starting to take root. Over the next few days, he notices it more and more. It's especially apparent with the new people that they find themselves spending time around. In particular, this meant the new string players that they were currently working in the studio with. Owen had known a couple of them prior to recording, but almost all of them had been complete strangers to Alex and Miles.

It could be said that right out of the gate that the string players, if familiar with either of them prior, knew more about who Alex was. Only one of the girls had recognized Miles. It was because she listened to The Last Shadow Puppets last record. Miles, unfortunately, is used to that reaction at this point. Although he won't admit it, it still does bother him deep down. It's not as though everyone knew who Alex was either. It was only a few out of the rather large group, but it's a significant enough to be noticeable.

Alex doesn't have the capacity to be impolite to people regardless of if they know him for his work or not. He's a people pleaser and although he's forever claiming to despise being the center of attention, he can't stand the idea of not winning people over in the time he knows them. He used to shut people out. All the monkeys did when Miles first met them. They were much more aloof and less willing to play along with what was asked of them. Over time that had changed and Alex, on more than one occasion, had praised Miles as being the one who helped him to open up to people. So, in a way, had Miles been the one responsible for Alex's false persona?

He's thinking about it while James and Owen discuss the next take. He's pretending to be interested in what he's doing on his phone while watching Alex over the top of the screen.Alex was over talking to a couple of Cello players while some of the other musicians were tuning up and taking a break. He could practically predict every word of the conversation though he couldn't hear it from where he was sitting. It was the same basic conversation Alex seemed to have with most people that he needed to have as actual acquaintances. He would tell them just enough to satisfy their curious about him while showing genuine interest in them (Again he was much too polite not to) He would graciously accept their praise of him and offer genuine compliments in return when he could. He would keep the conversations to simple things. He preferred to talk about music but would go into other topics when prompted by the situation, but nothing deeper than what you'd get into with a stranger at a bar.

"You alright Miles?" A voice asked. Miles looked up from his seat to see that Alex was now standing above him.

"Yeah, I'm fine why?" Miles asked, releasing his death grip on his phone. " I was just thinking about some of the parts on bad habits." He lied. Alex nodded, taking his seat next to Miles. With all the other people in the studio, he wasn't allowed to be particularly affectionate. It was getting frustrating for them though today was only the second day. They still had another week of the recording process to go. Miles loved to record but the long days stuck in a room with Alex without a moment of peace to themselves were agony.

Alex had been making an effort to talk to anyone other than Miles while they were at the studio. At home, everything was business as usual, but the moment they left the house they were nothing other than bandmates. "We've got a few minutes still. Do you want to step out for a smoke fast?" Alex asked.