Chapter 43- Of Wannabe Kings and Very Tall Buildings

When the confetti cleared, Darkness found herself and the rest of them on the Paris rooftop where she'd had her first 'date'. Pitch was at her feet, but everyone else was standing, taking in their surroundings nervously. The horizon was taking on a pink tinge as dawn approached, and it lit up the city around them in a faint, rosy light.

Cupid dusted his hands together dramatically as everyone turned their attention to him, eyes glittering. "You're welcome."

"You saved us..." Rebecca murmured almost dreamily, reaching out to touch his wings.

"Would you prefer it if I was wearing shining armour?" He asked, winking, and Jack wrapped an arm around her protectively. "Ah, come on Jack- I'm just having a bit of fun. You know what that is, don't you?"

"Why?" Dark asked, frowning at him. "Not to sound ungrateful or anything."

"Because you're my favourite," Cupid replied. "You can't just date a girl then leave her to be destroyed by an egotistical psychopath with an army of horses, along with the rest of the Guardians of childhood. And I couldn't leave you either, Pipes. After all, you were killing in the name of love."

Piper stared, at a loss for words as Cupid grinned at him. With the Sun's approach draining at her energy, Dark was struggling not to lean on him, instead letting her arm rest on Jamie's head as he hugged Jack. North simply looked lost.

Pitch moaned from below them, rolling over onto his back as he gulped for air. Cupid, as if just remembering him, clapped his hands and knelt down, taking the Bogeyman by the chin and kissing him full on the mouth. Pitch sat bolt upright, pulling away before scrambling to his feet while the Spirit of Love smiled. "There, that woke you up, didn't it, Pitchy? My own little kiss of life."

Pitch stared around at them all in shock, slight dread in his eyes as he glanced at North and Jack. "Jaxon..."

"Oh yes," Cupid said, nodding. "He'll be here shortly, so we had better get moving. This was only a brief stop, to drop you off, Pitch. Unfortunately, you're like a great big beacon to the brat, and so long as you tag along he'll be able to find us."

Everything had happened so quickly that Pitch was left in a state of shock for a few moments as Cupid dug around in his toga for more confetti. "Wait- so you're just going to leave me here? Leave me for Jaxon, after all I've done?"

"Yep," Cupid said, glancing up. "And I'd say 'all you've done' is a bit condemning, wouldn't you? Gather around people, we're off. Say goodbye to the ex-king of Nightmares."

"No!" Dark suddenly blurted, and all eyes fell to her.

"No?" Cupid had his back to her, and spun around with a look of shock and confusion.

"No?" Pitch sounded hopeful, his golden eyes faded to a dull silver. His robes were torn, lip bleeding and hair dishevelled, but she met his gaze evenly.

"No. I'm not leaving you." She knew it was stupid, but the stubborn, immovable side of her had made up it's mind that it was not going to leave Pitch on the roof top to be prey for a nine year old killer and his horse. No way. She was an idiot, but no way.

"Dark, I'm offended- I thought we had something special." Cupid's tone was playful, but his eyes were wide and shocked, looking like a reprimanded puppy. He glanced over at Pitch. "Jaxon will just kill both of you."

"He can try- I've got Piper with me," she told him, looping her arm through Piper's with a smile that was both pleading and threatening.

"Wait, what?" Piper demanded, raising his arms. "I'm not going on a suicide mission."