Chapter Four

I was currently sitting here trying to look calm. Definitely not possible since I'm sitting next to Kaiden and sweating to death. I probably reek. Nerves are going to end up giving me brain damage. 

This was literally like my first official pack meeting and I feel like I'm going to die. I can't get it out of my head, the thought that he had been about to kiss me. Would I have let him? It's not like deserves it. He's a coward. Right?

"As all of you may know there has been another attack." Alpha Matt stated, looking everyone in the eye, cutting off my mental dilemma. 

"Another?" Kaiden asked, sitting more forward in his chair, body angling towards me, our knees slightly brushing.

"Yes." he said, sighing heavily, scratching his hands down his face as if the whole weight of the world is upon his shoulders. Might as well be. "We didn't want to scare anyone because it seemed as if it was an accident and  we thought it was no big deal, but it seems we were wrong."

"It seems that there is another pack in town." my dad said. "We want all of you to watch your backs, be on guard, stay safe and do not travel alone. There has been no contact of permission to cross our lands, but we will not provoke until further notice. Understood?" His eyes strayed to me and Ronnie mostly.

"That will be all." Alpha Matt said, excusing us as he heads back towards his desk littered with maps and other paperwork.

That was somewhat intense, but somewhat not what I thought it would be. Kind of lame...

"Lame?" Alpha Matt said, not even turning around. "Kaiden I suggest to keep an eye out for Lane..."

I looked at him in surprise.

"Might want to keep your thoughts to yourself, Lane." he chuckled, slapping my shoulder playfully. I shrugged Kaiden's hand off grumbling as I left the room.

"Sorry." I mumbled, feeling quite embarrassed. I needed a quick run is what I need. As soon as I was outside I slowly trudged once again into the woods before I was far enough to shed my clothes and change. It hurt's to change with the clothing on sometimes. Trees and branches brushed along my fur as I ran. To many things were running through my mind. Mostly Kaiden, but also the attacks. Ever since I came back I feel like I haven't changed much from that nerdy runt, except I got taller, muscles and a late blooming status. I don't think the Alpha role is good for me. I growled out of annoyance. What the hell am I thinking? I worked hard to get to where I am. I can't let it be thrown away by some boy.

I was doing this to get back at everyone. That's what I told myself anyways. To show them I am strong. That I am somebody. I slowly came to a stop, realizing that these weren't familiar grounds and that I definitely went farther than the border lines of the pack. A weird scent drifted into my nose followed by the sound of sobbing. Being me I couldn't just turn away. I slowly edged towards the sound and smell. Soon enough I came into a clearing. Blood and bodies were everywhere.

A girl was laying on the ground next to a very still woman, curled into a ball. Her hands were cupped around her ears as she cried. I walked slowly towards her. As I was close enough I nudged her with my nose.

Her tear streamed face turned towards me and asked. "I'm not suppose to talk to strangers, my mom said so, but I can't get her to wake up. I think shes dead. Who are you?" She was so young. At least 8 or 9 years old. I smelt her fear. It was radiating so much I almost gagged. She had a few scrapes here and there. The only thing that worried me was the gnarly small gash on the side of her head. Three perfect scratch marks starting from her forehead treading down over her eye until it stops at the bottom of her chin. I started tugging her away. She was startled at first, but started after me.

Howls erupted nearby. None of them were familiar. I shook my head at her and motioned towards my back. Doing as I said after a moments hesitation. She jumped on as soon as another howl came closer this time.

'I don't want to die...I'm a nobody. Who are you? Are you a nobody too?'

Startled, I almost fell as I heard little voices in my head.

'Are you one of them?'

I wanted to ask one of who, but I thought it'd be smarter to not ask at this particular moment.

She pointed, asking. "One of them?" I followed her outstretched arm to see a bunch of wolves blocking the only exit I knew. It was the way I came in. These are the times when I should've headed the words of our Alphas seriously. Where the hell was Kaiden when I actually needed him?

Well technically it's not our only exit unless you count the lake, I thought to myself.  suppose it could be worse, this isn't that bad. I was top of my swim class. I just hope this kid can swim. I started running until my eyes landed on the peer that leads into the lake. "Hold on tight, kid. Hold your breath!" I sprinted towards it and threw us into the water. Considering I'm probably going to die anyways, I might as well die trying. That seemed to still be my day by day motto as we were submerged by the ice cold freezing water.