39 | Six hundred miles

Start from the beginning

"It is hard for us, too." It really is. Dad moved away after my freshman year, having found a job in a huge logistics company. Back then, money was something we needed and there was no room for negotiations. At first, Dad used to visit here at least twice a month. After some time, his visits became more and more sporadic until this year, when we haven't seen him since the summer break. I'm fed up with seeing the sadness in Mom's eyes whenever she talks to Dad on the phone and I'm tired of playing the head of the family whenever Daylen decides he's too busy to care. "But here Mom has peace. I don't want her to undergo such a change now."

"And I don't want you to feel like you're living in a split-up family." Mom's voice responds. My head snaps around and I find her leaning against the doorframe. Forgetting Dad, I jump to my feet, wanting to help her sit down. Mom only waves me off and moves, - with some difficulty, - to where I am sitting at the kitchen table. I slide out a chair for her, hating the thought of her going down the stairs all by herself. 

"I thought you were sleeping." 

Mom went to work today, which means she's prone to be tired for the rest of the day. One of the elements of her sickness is her tiring sooner than usually. Her work as the cashier in the nearest grocery store is not exhausting, but she tends to rest longer on her workdays. 

"I'm tired of sleeping." She smiles lightly, stroking the top of my head. Her smile grows when she looks at Dad's face on the screen, and he smiles back. "I see you told him."

"You know?" My eyes widen in surprise. I thought Dad hasn't told her yet. I thought he wanted to discuss it with me first. 

Mom nods with an apologetic expression. "I do. I just wanted Dad to be the one to tell you. He has better nerves for breaking news than I do."

"What about Daylen?" I demand. "Does he know? Why is he not here now?"

I hate how my parents can exchange glances even through a video talk. 

"He knows." I voice what is already obvious. I thought this was asking for my opinion. I was wrong. This is not a question. This is an information. And I was the only one to be left out. "Why is he not here, then? I think this discussion concerns him."

"Your brother leaves for Georgia soon." Dad says. "He'll be beginning his training."

Right. My big brother had decided that playing soldier would be his idea of fun. How could I have forgotten he was willing to leave us all anyway?

I sigh. I feel as if the whole world is crumbling down on me. Covering my face with my hands, I take my time to piece myself back together.

"When?" I ask, dropping my hands. 

"I'm coming to Ann Arbor for Christmas. During that time, Mom and I will take care of the things that need to be finished here. My promotion doesn't start until after the New Year, so we have some time, but I do hope that we will sell the house quite quickly." Dad says.

"The New Year?" I repeat incredulously. "You want to tell me that if you could, you'd have us packed in a plane and leaving in less than a month from now? What about my school? I still have six more months to go." 

Mom's lips tighten and that shade of worry I hate so much creeps into her gaze. "I know, honey. But there are schools there, too. You could still finish high school somewhere else."

"You're already used to being home-schooled." Dad adds. "We can provide you with the best tutor who will make sure you pass all your exams perfectly."

"It's not about the exams." I snap. It's not the ACTs I'm worried for. Shit, I couldn't care less about them right now. What I fear is losing Ann Arbor, losing my life here, my friends, losing Ada... "I have a life here. I need time to..." To make a good use of what I have left with my friends and the girl I'm falling for. "to finish things up. I need some time to prepare."