Once

s c a r l e t

I stood frozen in my seat, as I watched my mom with panic. My mom looked at me with confusion, then followed my gaze behind her. She gasped and scooted back, placing her hands in the air in surrender.

I looked back at the kids who watched my mom with horror, almost matching my face. Their innocent eyes were wide open with fear, as they watched the stranger hold the gun to their grandma, my mother.

I have to do something, I quickly thought.

I didn't know what to do. What can I do!

I quickly looked around for something, anything that could be of help. My gaze landed on an open room door, but that's not what caught my eyes.

What caught my eyes, was the dead army soldier holding a gun, I suspected to be a honey badger.

Not only was that pure luck, but the honey badger also happens to be my favorite out of all the other guns.

I knew immediately what I had to do, and that was to save my mom. But first, I needed to get that gun.

I quickly unbuckled my seat belt and looked back at the kids.

"Unbuckle your seat belts and get down. Don't let that man see you okay?" I told them.

All of the kids were spooked and scared. They were all frozen with fear. Alize nodded, her hand shaking.

"Okay?!" I said getting the attention of all the other kids.

Nobody spoke a word as they unbuckled their seat belts and got down on the car floor. I looked at Alize, and instructed her to take the baby out of the car seat. Yet, Alize was struggling with the baby's car seat buckle, so I reached over and unclipped it for her.

"Alize I need you to hold Bebe down, no matter what" I told her.

Alize nodded helping the baby down. She was being brave, something no kid her age should have to do.

"Stay safe, and stay hidden" I told them.

Everyone nodded.

Since the gunman was focused on my mom, I slowly opened my car door and slipped out. Quietly, I closed the door and made my way around the car, in a ducking position.

The door was on the second level, so with the best stealth I could come up with, I kept hidden behind the cars in the parking lot, and made my way up the stairs.

"I want your keys!" I heard the stranger yelled.

For a brief second I stopped in the middle of the staircase, and looked down at the two figures.

The man held on tightly to the hand gun, while my mom stood still. Knowing I didn't have much time, I continued making my way upstairs.

*Bang!*

At the top of the staircase I quickly ducked and looked down to see my mom crouching down and holding her head. The man with the gun pointed to the right side of my mom.

I looked down at the pavement where he had his gun pointed to, to see a small hole in it.

The bullet must have hit there.

"God dammit lady! Give me your keys!" The stranger yelled even louder.

I knew it was never good to yell, in a time like this. It's obvious, and most definitely common sense. I heard shuffling to my right, and jumped back in horror.

I watched the dirty rotting human make its way towards me, moaning profoundly and dragging its right leg.

As if on instinct I ran inside the room, and slammed the door shut.

"What the hell was that?!" I heard the man say, muffled out by the door.

Ok so slamming the door wasn't the best idea,
Hopefully the guy will just ignore it.

I took in deep breaths, and looked down at the dead soldier's body.

The smell was horrifying, almost like a mix between a dead dog and a sewer.

My mind immediately wandered back to my sister eating her husband, and the wicked stench that the air held.

I covered my nose with my right arm, and slowly made my way to the decaying body. Looking down at the guy. I noticed he had brown hair, brown eyes, and dark brown skin. He seemed to be in his mid 20s.

It's sad he had to die like this.

Slowly I reached for his gun, as if he would wake up and kill me for even thinking about taking it. My eyes kept darting between the dead body and the gun, in anticipation.

I could feel the fear crawl up and down my skin, knowing there could be a chance this man could turn any second.

Finally, I grasped the gun and snatched it out of his arms. Looking down at the gun, I cocked it and looked at the dead soldier. He also had throwing knifes and a bullet proof jacket on him.

If he's dead, he can't use it, so why let it go to waste, right?

Sucking in a breath, I once again reached for the knifes and bullet proof jacket. For cautious measures, I watched the man as I grabbed the knifes and placed them on the nightstand. Then, I gently took the bullet proof vest off of him, along with the carriers that went around the waist, to hold the knifes.

I had to not think about how I was wearing a dead mans uniform. Or else, I'd vomit on the spot.

Smiling in satisfaction, I quickly tied on the vest (which is extremely heavy.) and the knife holster. Then I placed the knives inside and held the gun in my arms.

I was ready,

Oh. It's go time baby.