Chapter 48 - "Was it worth waiting five months?"

Start from the beginning

Sebastian opened his mouth when a knock resounded on the door. Giving her a wry smile, he looked to the door.

"Yes?" he called out.

The door opened.

"Mic check in 20 minutes, Mr. Colfax," a man said.

"Thank you, Anthony."

The door closed and Sebastian turned to Amelia, his expression going humorous.

"Slightly annoying at times. I've gotten used to it. In the beginning it was overwhelming and stressful. Having hordes of people surrounding me, talking to me, poking and prodding me at times. Stylists, hair people, photographers, managers."

His hand instinctively raised to his hair but Amelia slapped it and he looked up, his expression vanishing into a smile.

"It's one of the reasons I spend so much time in my apartment now. I learned that it's the best way to cope with the constant onslaught of people. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everything everyone does, its just...I prefer minimal company. That's why I only deal with Jules and Dodger. Everyone sends their lyrics or melodies to them and they give it to me."

"I always wondered why I never saw the other writers at your apartment. I thought it was because they come on the days when I wasn't there."

"Nope, I just couldn't stand to be around that many people all the time. My mother said I would always do well married, that way I only had to be with one person." He waved away the comment. "Anyways when my label suggested bringing in new writers to help with the album, Chuck helped me find a way to do it that wasn't draining."

"It still amazes me how you can play for thousands of people. Isn't that overwhelming?" Amelia asked, skeptical.

"I'm not dealing with them like I have to with everyone else, on a personal level. It's like with the music videos and photoshoots, it's one side of the same dice. I'm a performer. You got overwhelmed when girls constantly kept coming up to you but you've played for thousands of people, that's not stressful."

"I'm the drummer not the main event." She lightly taped his forehead with her finger. "It's not the same thing."

"You get my point, right?"

"I get you're point. You're amazing and I'm not sure I completely understand you but that's something I can change with time."

Sebastian gave her a crooked smile and he leaned closer to her, his eyes taking on a mischievous glint. A sudden flutter filled Amelia's stomach and her heart started beating faster as she drew in a short intake of breath.

They were inches apart when someone knocked. Sebastian dropped his head with clear frustration.

"Yes?" he said, looking up.

"Mic check, Mr. Colfax."

Sebastian nodded and stood.

"You don't have to come. They let some of the fans in." He cringed slightly. "And it gets kind of loud."

She gave him a flirty smile.

"I can jump up and down and scream with the best of them."

"Some how I can't imagine you do that. And I like that about you. My ears drums stay intact when you're around me."

"Unless I'm playing the drums."

"Unless you're playing the drums."

They both headed for the door, hands linked, glances and smiles darting back n forth.