Chapter 8 - "Sebastian is not here."

Amelia felt her hoody tug her shirt up as she pulled it over her head.

"Don't be embarrassed Amelia," Reynolds said. "Every girl has the same reaction when I walk into a room."

Amelia rolled her shoulders and her t-shirt settled back into place.

"What do you want Reynolds?" she said, filling her voice with all the boredom and annoyance she could muster.

"Oh nothing."

He dropped his hands behind his back and moved in a small circle around the drum room before facing Amelia again.

"Seems as if you were looking for something, or someone," Amelia said, pointedly.

"No, I was just hanging around, thinking I might stop by for a second," Reynolds said, nonchalantly.

His eyes still wandered over the empty room.

"Sebastian is not here," Amelia said.

"Who said I was here to see him?" Reynolds said, with an unconvincing shrug.

"He didn't show up yesterday. He's probably still on vacation."

"No, he's not. He got back Saturday," Reynolds said, automatically.

"Didn't peg you for the stalker type," Amelia taunted.

"I'm not. Wendy, the blonde you have the habit of calling leg warmers, said he was spotted at the airport Saturday."

"Didn't think you were the gossip type either, Reynolds. Well, you can be certain he didn't show up Monday. I'm guessing he's done with whatever he was doing here. He probably has a lot more important things to deal with than learning to play the drums."

He frowned at this and Amelia looked around as students filled the room.

"Now, Reynolds if you don't mind I have students I need to help," Amelia said.

She walked over to him, giving him a small shove with her hands.

"No need to get handsy Amelia, you could at least ask me on a date first."

Amelia jerked her hands back quickly as if they had touched fire. She crossed her arms, scowling at Reynolds.

"Poor Reynolds, it must be difficult to know the only human contact you've had in a long time is with someone who's trying to get rid of you."

She turned her back to him before he could get out a decent retort.

***********

Amelia held back a grimace as two drums clashed. She mentally urged the drummer to keep going, but he didn't. Amelia pulled off her headphones and looked at the embarrassed boy. His mouth was a tight line and his eyes spoke volumes of what was running through his head.

"Collins," Amelia said.

He looked at her and the internal beating he was giving himself faded.

"Look, this piece is extremely difficult, you're not going to get it on your third try. That's why you need to take it slower before bringing it up to the right speed," Amelia said, her tone soft.

He nodded and looked away from her, his expression turning to surprise. The room got eerily quiet all of a sudden. Amelia turned to find Sebastian standing in the center of the room, Jones at his shoulder

"Collins, start it over and this time go slower but don't stop. Keep going even if you mess up," Amelia said.

"Alright." Collins said.