Chapter 22 - "I've decided my only option is to go mad."

Amelia pulled her apartment door open. Danny's wide smile greeted her on the other side.

"Danny what are you doing here?" she asked.

"Is that the only question you ask when there is a door between you and another person? Or have you saved it just for me?" Dany asked.

Amelia frowned and crossed her arms.

"Fine. It's just for me then. Bash told me where you lived. Are you going to let me in? I could be mobbed out here, you know," Danny said, his tone serious.

Amelia peered out the doorway, into the silent hall.

"It's not likely," Amelia said, "since the guy across the hall is an old man who owns cats and plays the oboe. The two apartments down the hall are full of six, thirty something friends who just drink a lot of coffee. So you're not going to be mobbed. Now why are you here?"

"Most women would die to have me in their apartment but you keep me in the hallway, you are an odd one."

"If most women would die then I guess I'm making the wise choice in keeping you out," Amelia said.

"Amelia you're one of the few women I've met who seems completely immune to my charms. Why is that?" Danny asked, studying her.

"It's probably because I have a best friend Will, who, if he looks sideways at a girl, she becomes a puddle. Then a brother that when he flashes a smile at a girl, love is instantly on her mind. So I've learned how to combat it with annoyance and sarcasm. Now answer the question."

"Well, at least there is a reason and it's not that I'm losing my touch. That makes me feel better."

"Danny!"

"Fine, do you know what today is?"

"Yes. It's the 14th of February, so?"

Danny opened his mouth to speak, but a voice from inside the apartment cut him off.

"Amelia can you please tell who ever is on the other side of the door to come in. I can't eavesdrop from over here and walking into the kitchen would be far too obvious," Charlie called out.

Amusement flickered across Amelia's face as she looked over at Charlie and saw his head was still bent over his textbook. She stepped aside, gestured for Danny to come in. Charlie walked over, his face impassive, as he surveyed Danny with an accusatory glance.

"Danny this is my brother Charlie. Charlie, Danny DaSilva Sebastian's best friend and Poppy's celebrity crush," Amelia said.

"Whose Poppy?" Danny asked, his voice hinting at excitement.

"No one," both Charlie and Amelia said together.

"It's nice to meet you Danny. What brings you here today, of all days," Charlie said.

"My intentions are innocent, I assure you," Danny said, jovially.

"I don't care about your intentions. I want to know about your actions. Why are you here, today?" Charlie asked, emphasizing the last word.

"I came to enlist Amelia's help."

"What for?" Amelia asked.

"Since both you know it's Valentine's Day, and probably know how this specific day effects people who have recently vacated a relationship. I got the group of writers together to cheer Bash up. Will you come with me to help Bash out?"

Amelia looked at Charlie, raising one eyebrow, interested in his opinion. Charlie shrugged, tilted his head slightly, giving the question back to Amelia.