Kean

      I have avoided Dunkin since the night I dug up the old books. I don't like feeling like I am in over my head and when it comes to dealing with Elves that's exactly where I am. Elves are complicated, they are powerful, secretive and timeless and they are beyond my ability to control in any manner. It makes me edgy so I avoid him.

      Tonight is the last race of the season, the most dangerous race. I leave Avi in for the day but Cinis squeals and paces the perimeter of his paddock, I know he will have more than enough energy for tonight. None of the horses will be worked today, I've kept most of them in and gave as many people the day off as was possible, the less people out the better. Marvin wasn't happy that he had to cancel the appointments that he had made for today but he also knows better than to cross me in regards to the Sidhe.

      The race tonight is at five – just after the sun sets – early for a race but even the most suicidal on the island don't want to be out late. So I rush through stalls and feed set up, the employees that are here today scuttle around quieter than usually just trying to get through their work as fast as they can. I am tempted to send someone to go get me sea water for Cinis's rub down but I don't want to be responsible if a Formorian or Merrow snatches someone so I start for the ocean with two buckets and a small cart to pull the water back in.

      At the shore I see something I didn't anticipate; the dark hulking figure of a Tarbh Uisge. A Water Bull, grazing on sea weed washed up from high tide. The water bulls are usually shy and only come out in the dark of the night. I am quiet and careful going to the water but the Bull pays me no mind, he is too focused on his meal. It has been a long time since a Water Bull cow cross has been born on the island and I have to wonder if there will be one born this year. Though they are docile and I'm sure it will not attack me a shiver runs down my spine as they often serve as an omen of bad things to come.

      As I pull the cart with the water buckets back to Allard's I can see a gathering of some sort in one of the far fields. A glimmering purple flame leaps and dances in the afternoon air, shapes of various sizes seethe and crowd around the flames. The iron lining of the paddock fence is not enough to keep them out today, the only reason the iron I wield will still work is because I can channel my own energy into it making it more potent though it will sap my strength and energy. I let the gathering be because if they are in a field then they are not terrorizing the citizens and tourists of the island.

       When I walk into the yard it is like a ghost town; all the employees are gone and all the horses are in except Cinis. I roll the feed cart into the main barn and leave the buckets by the stall door. Before going out to grab Cinis, I double check the other horses and the protective devices in the buildings to be sure that the animals will be as safe as possible.

      Cinis sees me approaching his gate, he rears and spins racing from the other end of his paddock. He is unable to stay still, shifting his weight from foot to foot, bobbing his head in impatience, his ears twitching restlessly. I tap my rings against the thick iron gate to gain his attention, he is more deadly today than any other day of the year.

      I undo the latch and open it just enough for me to grab onto his halter. He jerks his head and my barely healed shoulder twinges; I want to snap at him but I know that today of all days that will not get the response I am looking for, instead I talk quietly to him until he lowers his head. I run the chain of the lead over his nose and up the side of the halter. Walking back to the barn he is heavy in my hand and I have to fight to keep his attention.

      In the stall I tie him to the back wall and bring the buckets and a rag into the stall. He stands quietly but there is a tense energy around him that I have to work to calm. I rub the wet rag up his legs letting the salt water seep into his muscles. I just reach his shoulder when a noise behind me nearly causes me to drop my guard, I turn with one hand on Cinis's neck; it is Dunkin.

      I feel my muscles tense, Cinis must sense my unease because he quiets and swivels his ears to try to find the source of my anxiety. "Dunkin."

      "Kean," he says, "where have you been?"

      "Busy," I tell him, "what about you?"

      The glamour that covers him flickers as I fight to see him, "I've been mostly here and in Rell."

      "With Breena?" I keep my face and voice impassive though his interest in her worries me still.

      "Sometimes, she's something of a magnet for the Sidhe on this island."

      I feel the muscle in my left cheek twitch, "I've noticed, you can't seem to leave her alone." I hesitate for a moment, "If for even a second you think about bringing her back to the Island of the West with you I will find a way to kill you, I won't have her used as some sort of sacrifice or serving girl."

      Dunkin's eyes widen and he blanches, his voice is full of venom when he speaks, "You really thing that I would do something like that?"

      "There aren't many reasons an Elf will associate with mortals."

      Dunkin's eyes harden, "You do not know my reasons. I would never do that."

      "Then why are you here? You're on my territory and you've taken an interest in one of my charges, I need to know why," the acid in my voice nearly burns my tongue.

      Dunkin's face twists into a snarl, "She's my sister."

      My jaw drops slack, that is not what I was expecting, "What?"

      His teeth grit in frustration and he thrusts his hands into his hair tugging at the ends, "She's my half-sister really, I just found out about her a few months ago. I decided I'd come meet her."

      "Oh," it sounds stupid as I say it but I feel a bit of relief now that I know he's not planning to murder her or take her away as some sort of prize.

      "My father apparently didn't think I needed to know about her until recently," his voice is bitter.

      I clear my throat, "Does she know?"

      He shakes his head, "No, what am I supposed to tell her? 'Hello, I know we've only known each other for about a month but I'm actually your half-brother which makes you a half Elf.' I have a feeling that that wouldn't go over too well."

      He sounds so bitter sympathy flickers through me. "Maybe it would be best if you just leave her alone, then she'll never have to know."

      He grimaces at me, "I don't think that's an option anymore. She attracts too much attention from the Sidhe and she could have abilities that are lying dormant for now but will surface eventually."

      I'm not sure what to say to him, I have no experience with siblings let alone siblings that don't know of my existence. It's what he says about hidden abilities that that really grabs my attention though, "I suppose you could wait until the time seems right." The words are cliché and fairly unhelpful but I feel compelled to say something.