Chapter 28

A.N. HII SO SORRY ABOUT THE REALLY SHORT AND SUCKY CHAPTER AGAIN (I WAS STUDYING ALL DAY AND I HAD TO WHIP THIS UP REALLY QUICK SO ITS NOT THE BEST ITS JUST KIND OF A FILLER TO GIVE YOU GUYS AN UPDATE I APOLOGIZE). I HAVE MIDTERMS MONDAY AND TUESDAY AND THEN IM FINALLY DONE SO NEXT WEEKS CHAPTER SHOULD BE LONGER :) AND THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING AMAZING ON HERE AND TWITTER AND INSTAGRAM I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! by the way there will be things in this chapter about electroconvulsive therapy that might not be particularly true or that i exaggerate so please know that this is for plot/story purposes to make it interesting :) i just dont want a million comments telling me that im wrong on the effects of electroshock or anything because i know this and i did it intentionally (i just wanna make sure you guys dont think im dumb or didnt research it or anything haha) but thanks again and ily

CHAPTER 28

ROSE'S POV

I awoke feeling weary and exhausted, my eyelids heavy. Once my dreams had dispersed I realized that I was lying in a bed that wasn't mine seeing that this one was of much greater comfort. I was hesitant to fully wake, fluttering my eyes open and catching glimpses of white ceiling tile. Once the tiring drag of sleep faded I sat up slightly, eying the all-to-familiar room. I was in Lori's office. And with that thought came the memories of . . . however long ago it was that Harry was thrown into room 204. Electroshock therapy. The thought made me sick. I was hoping that it might somehow be just a terrible nightmare, that he was in his cell right now and I had just passed out of something. But no, this was real. And it was frustrating. I mean we couldn't have one good day, Harry and I couldn't just have one day to be somewhat happy? It was one thing after the next, and Wickendale was seeming more like dystopia than a mental institution.

Instead our day had crumbled beyond my greatest fears, with Harry beating James possibly to death, getting dragged away by the guards, and being thrown into electroshock "therapy." After I heard one muffled scream of many I banged on the door, kicked it, hit it with my shoulder, anything to get it to open while shouting for them to let me in. And the last thing I remember was a needle being shoved into my arm while I tossed and turned in the guards' hands.

"Oh, you're awake," Lori said in a sigh, bringing me out of my thoughts. I hadn't even realized that she was in the room. All I could do was nod in confirmation.

As she walked towards me I didn't see any surprise in her eyes, no shock that I was now a patient at Wickendale. Since our last conversation she must've figured out what happened, because she didn't ask questions. All she gave me was a look of pity and something else . . . maybe guilt.

"How long have I been out? What did they do to Harry? Is he okay?" I asked immediately.

"Relax, Rose, you've only been out since yesterday afternoon. It's about 9 o'clock in the morning now so not too long."

"And Harry?" I egged on. The look in her eyes induced a heaviness in my already heavy heart. She came to me slowly and took a seat at the edge of the bed.

"He's okay . . . for the most part." I gave her a perplexed look and she continued. "He is physically but Ms. Hellman, she . . . she turned up the electricity really high on him."

"What does that mean?" I demanded.

"It means his mind is . . . jumbled. The shock brought waves of electric charge through him, really intense waves. A lot of them. It was enough to kind of shake up his brain. Everything's gonna be a little fuzzy for him for a while."

"What does that mean, fuzzy? Did he lose his memory?" I was getting more worried by the second and I was nervous to hear her answer.

"No, not exactly. He just lost the connections between his memories and feelings, in a way. He might be able to remember the image of James but he might not feel the hate he did and he might not really remember what James has done. And he'll remember you but maybe forgets the way he feels about you. It's hard to explain, but once you see him you'll understand. Just take your conversations slow and be patient with him. He'll ask a lot of questions, he'll be confused on a lot of things and he might not be exactly the same."