She began to tug relentlessly at the restraints, beads of sweat and blood trailing down her forehead. She used all of her strength to rip at them, teeth grinding together and grunts leaving her mouth. Her body began to tire out the more she tugged against the poison, but the slight ripping of the material urged her to continue.

Her wrists and ankles bled from the roughness, but once it finally snapped a minute later, she let out the biggest sigh of relief she ever had. Carmen ripped the tape from her mouth and inhaled heavily. She was finally free, but now raised the question: Where was she?

Carmen didn't have time to think about the question when she heard a grunt from the guy in the truck. He was still alive. She pushed off from the ground and began to limp towards the forest surrounding them, running through until her legs burned and she was forced to stop. The dirt from the grimy forest ground seeped into her wounds and infected them. Even though she naturally healed a lot faster than others, she couldn't see these healing anytime soon.

She panted heavily and hunched over in front of a tree before she felt acid bubbling at the back of her throat. What was coming was inevitable as she braced herself against the bark and threw up last night's dinner, coughing and wheezing heavily afterwards. Tears stung at the corners of her eyes.

She wiped her mouth on the back of her arm and stood up. Carmen noticed she was still in the tank top and pajama shorts she went to sleep in, meaning that she had been napped straight from her bed. Where was Isaac?

The forest was dark and cold and wet and Carmen felt useless and hopeless. She had no idea where she was or where to go. She didn't have her cell phone on her, so there was no way of contacting anyone. Her only bet was to keep running and hope that she eventually reached a town or found someone to help her- Though, she imagined explaining the situation wouldn't be the easiest.

With that in mind, Carmen began to limp off in one direction. She winced every time she took a step, pain shooting up her leg and the rest of her body. She hugged herself tightly to keep out the chill and continued to limp for minutes until she a peculiar sound, causing her to stop in her tracks.

When she lifted her head to listen to what it was, an arrow whizzed past her face and stabbed into the nearby tree, alarms going off in her mind. The many beams of flashlights shining through the trees made it obvious that there was now more than one person tracking her, getting nearer and nearer by the second. What could they possibly want with her?

Carmen knew that there was no way she'd be able to outrun them with her legs in this condition. There was only one thing she could do if she wanted to escape this.

She quickly sprouted her black wings right as another arrow shot past her. It was now or never.

She shallowly began to flap the large wings, picking up a steady pace before she began to lift off the ground. This was always Carmen's problem area while practicing, but she had no time to take things slowly when the hunters were closing in on her. She took off in another direction, her flight absolutely more rocky than she would have liked due to her lack of experience.

She was soaring, trying to maneuver her way through the clutters of trees and their branches. She attempted to stay focused and upright, but it all went downhill when a branch snagged onto one of her wings, ripping through it.
It was one of the most excruciating pains she'd ever experienced, and the pain of crashing to the ground only added to the sensation.

Salty tears streamed down her face as she got up on her knees, looked back, and noticed how bad the wing had been torn. A clean line cut through it, rendering it useless against the wind. She let out a small cry and clenched her fists in the dirt helplessly.
The heavy boots of the hunters following behind her approached the longer she sat there, sobbing quietly to herself.