Chapter 3

"Kingsley?" I demanded.

A picture of my mother that popped up on my 'memories' portion of Facebook had triggered a flashback to a lecture about how we don't accept handouts right as I was staring at the check and pondering whether I should deposit it today or not. Instead of just simply throwing it away, my leftover anger from the grope session with his brother two weeks earlier sprung up.

I found his office from the card he'd given me right after the accident. From there, I parked in a parking spot that was probably reserved for someone else. Then I whizzed passed a frightened-looking receptionist who looked resembled a mouse.

"Miss Montgomery," he greeted. "This is a surprise."

He had his own damn fancy desk inside his own office. Sitting opposite of him was a business-looking man in his early to mid-fifties, looking at me with profound perplexity.

"I don't need your money," I told him, holding up the check.

"Mr. Richmond, I'm sorry for the interruption, you've got the loan," Mr. Arrogant told the man. "I'll have my assistant draw up the paperwork and call you later today to arrange a time to sign it all."

Once Mr. Richmond was out and the door was shut behind him, Mr. Arrogant stood behind his desk, trying to hide his smirk.

"What?" I snapped.

"I've never seen that man looked so stunned in his life," he explained. "How'd you get past reception?"

"Your receptionist didn't exactly look like a bouncer to me."

"True. Now tell me why you don't need the money?" He asked.

"Because it's from you," I answered bluntly. "My car isn't even worth half of that money. The cost to fix it would be maybe a quarter of it."

"So use it to fix your car and buy another one!"

I scoffed, ripping up the check and began storming out of the room. Before I could reach the door he had already stepped in front of me and blocked the door.

"Oh, holding me against me against my will now, I'll add that to the list," I muttered.

"Well, technically, you came in here illegally," he pointed out.

"That is quite a stretch."

"You came in here without an appointment, intruded on my meeting," he said.

"Both times you came to see me at the pub you didn't make an appointment," I reasoned.