Say Goodbye to the Girl You Thought You Knew

Start from the beginning

“We’ve stabilized Christina. We ran some tests and found head trauma to the temporal lobe. Damage to that area of the brain is usually associated with amnesia, so we’ve put her into a coma to possibly lessen the effects and to let her brain heal itself. We’ll run the same tests in a few days to see if she’s healed. If she improves, we’ll wake her up.” The doctor said. I didn’t know how to react. She’s in a coma? “Would you like to see her?”

“Yes, of course we would.” Ray said. We all stood up and followed the doctor to a hospital room. I entered the room last. There were two beds, but Chris was laying in the one farthest to the door. I had to stop myself from running to her side.

Frank ran to her though, and he pulled up a chair and carefully held her hand. Ray pulled up a chair on the other side of her and held her other hand. Gerard sat on the bed by her feet, and Bob sat on the other side. When I got there, I stood at the end of her bed and was looking at her from the foot of the bed.

She looked like utter shit. She had needles in her hands. Her black hair was knotted and clumped with blood. She had a gash on the side of her face that was stitched up. She looked pale. Well, paler than usual. She was in a hospital gown, and the clothes that she was wearing were folded neatly on her bedside table. I walked over to them, and held them in my arms.

Since I couldn’t hold her, this was as close as I was getting. She was wearing a pair of black skinny jeans and a Nirvana t-shirt that looked familiar. I held it up.

“Ray isn’t this yours?” I asked him. Ray looked up at me, smiling sadly. He nodded.

“Yeah. I let her borrow it, like two years ago.” He said. I laughed a little. Every time she’d borrow clothes from one of us she would NEVER give it back. It made me feel happy inside when I’d see her wearing one of my shirts.

I went to fold Ray’s shirt. I noticed that there was a blood stain on the left shoulder and I sighed as I folded it. I looked at the clock that was on the table. It was 3:45 in the morning.

“Are you guys gonna spend the night here?” I asked them. Ray nodded and so did Frank.

“I’m staying.” Ray said, rubbing circles on Chris’s hand with his thumb.

“I’m staying too.” Said Frank. He looked at Gerard.

“I think I’m gonna go home and get some sleep. I’ll be back in the morning.” Gerard said, turning to me. “Mikes, would you drive me home?”

“Yeah sure. I’ll be back in the morning too.” I said.

“I have to work in the morning. So I’m gonna go home. I’ll be back in the evening.” He said, standing up. “Did anybody call Mama Ross?”

Mama Ross is Chris’s mom. She’s like our second mom. The guys and I get along with her really well. She loves us, and we love her.

“Oh, god. Mama Ross is gonna kill me.” Frank said.

“I’ll call her on the drive home.” I said, knowing Gerard would be with me. I can’t believe nobody told her about the accident. Chris is her daughter.

Then Bob, Gerard and I said goodbye to Frank and Ray. Before I left I walked over next to Ray and gently kissed Chris’s forehead. Ray patted my shoulder to comfort me. I nodded.

The three of us walked out of Chris’s room then, catching the attention of one of the nurses.

“Hey, you three are here awfully late aren’t you?” She asked, looking up at us from her seat at the desk.

“Yeah, we were allowed to see our friend because she was in an unstable condition, but now she’s okay.” Bob said. Well, I must have missed that part of the conversation with the doctor.