two* deserters

3

Soon enough after, the Starks were given the news of a deserter from the Night Watch. A military order where thieves and poachers are sent as a punishment. To live out their days at the Wall, guarding from what lies beyond. And a deserter; their punishment is death.

Lord Stark decided it was time for his son Bran to come. Although only ten years old, he wasn't going to be a boy forever. His oldest son along with his two bastards, followed along.

"I know I deserted them... I should have gone back to warn them but, I saw what I saw. I saw the white walkers." Evelyn remembers what the man says.

Theon Greyjoy held out Lord Stark's sword, as he drew it from it's sheath.

"In the name of King Robert of House Baratheon..." her father speaks, as Evelyn looks at the man being held to the block of wood. Evelyn then listens to what her brother says to Bran.

"Don't look away." he says. "Father will know if you do."

"I, Eddard of House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden in the North, sentence you to die." her father finishes, as he swings the sword. And in a blink of an eye it was over.

"You did well." Evelyn says to Bran, as she started to walk back to her horse.

On their way back to Winterfell, the group was stopped by a stag that was tore open.

"What is it?" Jon says, as Theon talks.

"Mountain lion?" he suggests.

"There are no mountain lions here." Lord Stark says, as he started to follow a trail. It lead them down a bit into the woods, where they found a large wolf dead. With five wolf pups, alive moving around in front of it.

Eddard Stark kneels in front of it, as Jon Snow joins his side. Evelyn stood over the two, next to Theon.

"It's a freak." Theon says,.

"It's a direwolf." Lord Stark speaks, still examining the beast.

"There are no direwolfs this far from the wall." Robb says.

"Now there are five." Evelyn sighs.

"Do you want to hold it?" Jon hands one to Bran, as he takes it.

"Where will they go?" Bran looks at Jon, as Ser Rodrik speaks.

"They don't belong here."

"Better a quick death." Lord Stark says, as Theon agrees and takes out his knife. Bran tried to stop him, begging his father.

"Put away your blade." Robb orders.

"I take orders from your father, not you."

Jon looks at the remaining the pups on the ground, then back at Ned.

"Lord Stark." he says, getting his attention. "There are five pups. A direwolf is the sigil of your house. You have five children. They were meant to have them."

He things about it, a lets it happen.

"You'll feed them yourselves;  you'll train them yourselves; a if they die, you'll bury them yourselves." 

"What about the two of you?" Bran asks, looking at Jon and Evelyn as everyone starts grabbing the pups.

"We're not Starks." Evelyn tells him, as he starts to walk back up. She followed him and Jon, just as there was another sound.

It was another direwolf, but the runt.

"Well what is it?" Robb looks back, as she picks it up.

"The runt of the litter." Theon says. "That ones yours, Snows."

Jon looked at his sister, as Evelyn turned to look at him.

Back to Winterfell.