Chapter 9 - Meeting Alexander and Ned

Start from the beginning

"Surely there are others around. That can't possibly be the only one in London. Why not go look for two more and then we would all be able to scale buildings instead of just Evie being able to do that." I said.

"That's not a bad idea love. Quick question, what would you be doing while I'm out?" Jacob asked.

"I'll be here with Henry, waiting for all of you to come back. I'm still recovering, so I'm going to hold back for some time and not go out into the field."

"Alright, be back soon."

Time skip

"That certainly took some time." Jacob said as he walked through the door.

"Welcome back." I said.

"Aleck is back, he can attach the mechanisms to your bracers." Henry said.

"I can have that done for you in minutes." Alexander said as he appeared behind us and set to work.

After our bracers were upgraded, Alexander showed us just what he has been working on. Not long after, Evie walked through the door.

"Ah, Miss Frye, I was just showing Henry, Jacob and Miss (Last name) the first messages received via the mended lines. Oh, and you can keep the rope launcher by the way. Jacob was able to procure one for both him and Miss (Last name). Excellent work by the way, and thank you for everything." Alexander said.

"You're very welcome, Mister Bell." Evie replied.

"We can now defend the principle of impartial news and free speech."

"Free is fair, but free and brief is far better." Jacob murmured.

"Haha, Frye. Such caustic wit."

"Yes, he does seem to be funny, well funny looking anyway." I said.

"You wound me my dear." Jacob said as he placed his hand over his heart with a mock look of sadness. I couldn't help but giggle at the sight.

"I try, Mister Frye, I certainly try indeed."

"Anyway," Evie said before Jacob could reply. "On that note, we must depart. Especially before these two begin something."

"Good fortune to you all. Call on me, anytime." Alexander said. With that, we left the workshop and made our way back to the train.

"Now, that we've finished with that distraction-" Evie begins to say as we hopped aboard the train, only to be interrupted by Jacob speaking out as he pointed to an unfamiliar person.

"Who is that?" Henry shrugs his shoulders. "Oh, you mean...you don't know?"

"Jacob, that's rather harsh of you to say." I said as I punched him on the arm. Before he could say anything, the person walked over and said.

"Beautiful train you've got here. Miss MacBean was just telling me all about her. Names Ned." He says as he shakes Henry's hand.

"How do you do?" Henry replies.

"I won't take up more of your time. If you want to learn a thing or two about the finest transit systems inn the world, you can find me at this address." Ned holds out his card and just as Jacob tries to grab it, Evie grabs it instead and slaps his hand away from the card. Ned then leaves the train.

"Well, that was certainly something. So, what do we do now?" I said once Ned was gone.

"Now then, let us return to locating the piece of Eden." Evie said, to which Jacob just scoffed at.

"We need to reclaim London from Starrick. Who are my targets?" He said.

"It's not time for that yet."

"I didn't come to London to hunt curios," I could see the tension between the siblings begin to rise, but I had no idea what to do about it. All I could do was stand there in silence.

"First understand the dance, only then become the dancer."

"Oh, so you're taking over where father left off?"

"Someone has to." It was at this point that their voices had raised a significant amount. Before they could say anymore, Henry intervened and said,

"Evie, finding the Precursor artifact will give us an insight what the Templars intend. Jacob, I have information about Starrick's associates that should be of use to you. Here." He pointed behind him and, just like he said, there was a board full of information.

"Well then, looks like we have quite a bit of work to do." I said in hopes of lessening the tension that surrounds us, mostly the siblings in fact. Unfortunately, my efforts were in vain as they refused to look at each other and focus on other things. 'Well, things are certainly getting interest, that's for sure.' I thought as I watched both Evie and Jacob, wondering what may have happened to them that has caused a rift between them.