The Light's Dream

James and Cameron arrived at the restaurant about fifteen minutes after they had initially left the tower. "Excuse me, we have a reservation for seven," James stated to one of the wait staff. 

"Oh, certainly, may I have your name please sir?"

"James." 

"Oh my goodness, it's an honor, sir." 

"I'm sorry, I don't quite understand," James replied modestly.

"You're the guardian that killed the black garden right?" The staff member asked. 

"Yes?"

"Please, follow me right this way sir." She stated grabbing a menu for the two of them. 

"Sure?" James replied oddly. He didn't quite understand why he was being treated like this. Any guardian who was there would have done the same thing as he did. Cameron was there with him, yet he never noticed if she was treated differently. 

The two were placed in a private room together. The room itself had a red carpet, with several paintings of the city's heroes on the walls. The wall facing away from them was a window looking out over the city. The doors closed behind them, and the waitress gave them their menus. "I hope the accommodations are to your liking guardians." She said walking outside. 

"Wow. Did you plan this?" Cameron asked as a man came in pouring the two a glass of water. 

"No, I honestly had no idea that this would happen in the first place." 

"Well, it certainly is nice. It's very classy in here." 

"Anything for you Cameron." He stated raising his glass to meet hers. He took a slight sip from his glass and looked at her. 

"You didn't really seem to keen on the special treatment we got, is there something wrong?" She asked placing her glass on the table.

"It's just that if there were other guardians in our position, they would have done the same thing. I don't like being thought of as being above everyone else. I'm just like other warlocks." 

"Oh, James. You are nothing like other warlocks. May I be honest with you for a moment?"

"Sure."

"I honestly think that most warlocks are annoying to be around. They go on and on about how much they understand humanity and the world around them. You, on the other hand, seem to understand it more than any of them and you don't share it. Not only that but you are nothing like other guardians either. They just seem to brag and flaunt all of their "glorious" loot at others, placing themselves on pedestals. You, on the other hand, the guy with the gun from the golden age, seem to just give and give." 

"I don't know; I just don't want to sound selfish." 

"Well, I think that's an admirable quality, James." 

Then the waitress returned. "So have we decided on what we want to drink?" She asked slightly visibly shaking. She was incredibly nervous. These were figures of legend in her own time that she was serving. James was looking at her calmly for a second, she began to perspire heavily, and her heart rate increased. 

"You know, everything will be okay right?" James asked her.

"I'm sorry sir, I don't know what you mean." 

"You're incredibly nervous ma'am. Just relax." 

"I'm sorry, it's just that you two are just so, legendary." 

"I don't think I've done anything that great." 

The waitress was trying her hardest not to yell to reassure him that he was wrong.