Chapter 22 || The Storming

It was brought to my attention that I accidentally switched the roles of the north and south rebels! I am so sorry for any confusion! I've gone back and edited where I messed up.

Once again, I'm sorry for being a shitty updater. Thank you so much to those who nag me to update, it helps so much! I hope you all have/ had a great day.

Enjoy <3

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

A sudden blast causes the floor to rumble nervously. The pressure from around sends my hearing to the extreme. I rapidly cover my ears with all my might, and unconsciously fall to the floor. A faint whistling at a high frequency slices through the thin air like a bullet. The ground above shakes violently, and the sound of collapsing debris sprinkling around the atmosphere nerves me. At any moment, the ancient stones that paved the underground tunnels, I imagine, will collapse.

I can only picture what would have happened above, in the palace. Frantic bodies of people searching for solace from the attacking forces, loud noises and blasts of inhumane power.

It must be another raid; the only realistic conclusion I can come to. The Royal palace has been bombed.

I assume the proximity of the blast must be somewhere on the other side of the castle, because if it were closer, I would be most likely be dead.

Above the tunnel walls, I can make out the faint sound of heavy weaponry attack and the cries of men and women. I remain lying on the floor; a poor defence mechanism until I feel Caroline's rough fingers grab mine, and encourage me to stand. All I hear is the pounding of blood at the back to my neck as I stand; my body under severe stress.

A feel as though any minute, my body will collapse.

Caroline guides me through the unmapped tunnels and I don't care to pay attention to where I am being lead. I trust her, and I'm not entirely sure if for that I am being wise.

After what seems like much time has passed, light begins seeping into my vision as we come to a gradual exit. I feel relieved, but not yet safe.

Caroline suddenly comes to a halt, letting go of my arm and covering the eye slits on her mask.

"Are you alright?" I ask worriedly, placing my hand on her shoulder as an act of friendship. After all, Caroline has helped me more than anyone, post-Vampire Uprising.

"Yes, although my eyes trouble adapting to light." Her voiced sounding damaged, I only wonder what could of happened to her. I know she has no supernatural abilities... I have heard of witches... But I don't know how to determine one.

I remove my hand from her shoulder and grab her arm, like she did with me, when I didn't know where to go. I guide her closer to the exit, of a small, ancient door. I peer through the window and see the woods in the distance, a possible place of solace from all the fighting... But getting there would be extremely difficult as we would be out in the open.

"Should we escape to the woods or stay here." I ask slowly, thinking about all the possibilities.

"What do you see?"

"Trees... About 300 metres off... I can't see anyone... But that doesn't mean they aren't there. It may be to dangerous."

A moment of vacant conversion allows us to listen to the dreadful noise of warfare around us.

"Humans are always in danger." Her voice soft and sorrowful. "We are weak."

Moments pass. Faint gun shots and explosions can be heard. The rumbling is no longer as extreme as it used to be.