31

Looking

Looking

The Next Morning

"There's no party like a search party, right?" Natalie joked.

"Just get the gear, Nat," Shane said sternly.

She rolled her eyes and grabbed the backpack out of the car.

The group was getting ready to go out and search for Sophia.

"I don't even want you coming out here," Shane sighed as Natalie handed him the backpack.

"Well, I guess we can call the emotional stress I'm causing you a little taste of your punishment for cheating on me," Natalie teased.

Shane sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Come on, time to go," Shane sighed, nudging Natalie towards the RV, where the group was meeting.

"Aunt Nat! Aunt Nat!" Carl called, rushing over to her.

"What's up, bud?" She asked excitedly.

"Mom and Dad said I could come out with you guys and look for Sophia," Carl said.

"Nice," Natalie said, fist bumping the child.

"You gonna be my search partner? We can pretend we're the police searching for a missing kid, kind of like your dad and Shane," Natalie said with a small chuckle.

Carl's face broke out into a wide smile.

"We're gonna find her today," Natalie said, putting an arm around Carl's shoulders.

Lori glared at Natalie from behind. Lori could never get Carl to smile at her like that. She couldn't even get him to talk to her the way he talked to Natalie.

Andrea started arguing with Dale over loudly, catching Natalie's attention. She turned around and watched the scene unfold.

"I chose to die in that building. You took that away from me," Andrea shouted.

Natalie clenched her jaw tightly.

Natalie chose to die, too, but she realized now that she should be grateful for the second chance she has now. She planned to make the most of that second chance. She wanted to find a way to heal her relationship with Shane, even if they were just friends and she wanted to live everyday, knowing that she was making her son proud. The day she stopped doing that was the day she was truly dead.

"Let's roll out," Shane ordered.

The group ambled into the woods, not even knowing where to start looking for Sophia. Most of them weren't sure they would find the girl, but pretended to have hope for Carol's sake.