24

Drowning

Drowning

She wanted to drown out the pain.

She didn't want to feel it anymore.

She finally drained the first bottle of wine.

She could still feel the pain, so she moved on to the bottle sitting next to it.

She didn't care enough to pour a glass. She just drank straight from the bottle.

"Let me show you guys to your rooms," Dr. Jenner said, standing up.

Shane grabbed a bottle of liquor off the table and followed after Dr. Jenner.

Natalie carried the bottle of wine with her.

Dr. Jenner led her to a large room off one of the hallways.

"This should be good for you and your husband," he said kindly.

"I don't give a shit where he sleeps," Natalie muttered in her drunkenness.

"There's a bathroom inside. The tub in there is the nicest in the building," Dr. Jenner said with a smile.

Natalie nodded and stumbled inside.

She didn't notice Lori follow her in.

"I just came to make sure you were okay," Lori said gently.

"I don't want to see you," Natalie snapped.

"I know, but are you okay?" Lori asked.

"You want to know how I feel?" Natalie snapped.

"How would you feel if I slept with Rick and lied to you about it? How would you feel if I destroyed your marriage and your friendship all in one fell swoop? Oh, and on top of it all, how would you feel if Carl got brutally killed right in front of you and all you could do was watch helplessly?" Natalie snapped, turning away from Lori.

She went straight for the bathroom and locked herself inside.

She heard Lori slam the door behind her.

Natalie sat down in front of the bathtub, still holding the bottle of wine.

She slowly turned on the water, filling up the tub.

In the communal showers down the hall, Shane was chugging the bottle of liquor in the shower, trying to drown out his thoughts of Nick.

It was his only coping mechanism.

He lost Natalie. Then he lost Lori. Then he lost Nicky.