14

Scorn

Scorn

The Next Day

Natalie got along well with most of the people in the camp.

She got along best with Carol and Glenn.

Carol was nice to talk to when Natalie was trying her best to avoid Lori.

Glenn was a good all around friend. He was a good bit younger than Natalie, but they still got along.

Nick liked him because he used to be a pizza delivery boy and Nick considered pizza to be its own food group.

Natalie was sitting by the water front of the quarry, doing laundry with Carol.

She watched as Shane and Lori walked out of the woods.

They were laughing.

That was what really pissed Natalie off. It felt almost as if they were laughing at her, laughing at the pain they were causing her, laughing at the fact that they were tearing her family apart.

Something inside her snapped.

"You okay?" Carol asked.

"Perfect," Natalie lied.

"You sure nothings bothering you?" Carol asked, concerned.

"Just worried about Nick, like always. It's a mother's job, right?" Natalie said with a fake chuckle.

"He's a good kid. No matter what you're worried about, I'm sure he's fine," Carol said, patting Natalie's thigh reassuringly.

Shane walked down to the water front to see Natalie. Natalie glared at him. Carol started to feel uncomfortable.

"I'll leave you two alone," Carol said, standing up.

"Where've you been?" Natalie asked, trying her best to sound like she cared.

"Supply run," Shane lied.

"You've been going on a lot of those lately," Natalie said with a sigh.

"You want to eat, don't you?" Shane asked.

"It's not me eating that I'm upset about," Natalie snapped.

"Excuse me?" Shane asked harshly, obviously understanding the word play.

"While you've been out on your little supply runs, I've been taking care of our son and her son, too," Natalie snapped.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Shane asked, raising his voice.

"Oh, come on Shane. There's no use lying anymore. Cut the bullshit," Natalie scoffed.

"Watch your mouth," Shane snapped.

"Maybe you should watch yours. God knows where it's been, besides on Lori," Natalie retorted.