17

Dixon

Dixon

The Next Morning

Natalie woke up early, as she always did, to start her daily chores. She went around and collected everyone's dirty laundry. She avoided Lori and Shane to the best of her ability. Rick was still asleep, so she couldn't use him as a human shield against her husband and his mistress.

Nick and Carl ran past her, laughing hysterically. Natalie smiled at them. She loved seeing Nick happy, Carl too. She was happy that Carl had been reunited with his father. The kid needed a father. Every kid did. She just hoped that Shane could continue to be around for Nick. Shane was a great father, but Natalie worried that this whole Lori issue would tear Nick and Shane apart.

"Hey, Mom, can Carl and I go play over in the clearing?" Nick asked.

"I'm guessing you're asking me because you know Dad's gonna say no?" Natalie asked with a laugh.

Nick rubbed the back of his head and chuckled. He looked just like his father when he did that.

"It's fine with me. Just go check with Carl's Mom," Natalie sighed.

The boys high fived and took off running.

"You're the best, Mom!" Nick called over his shoulder.

"Love you too, Nicky," Natalie laughed.

She chuckled to herself before turning back to the clothesline. She hung up the wet laundry. She held Shane's police academy t-shirt in her hands, remembering a time when she used to slip it on when Shane was at work for longer hours and she missed him. She used to like it because it smelled like him. It made her feel close to him in a way. Now, she had an urge to burn it.

Shane sped into the camp in a black Jeep.

"Water's here y'all," he called to the group.

"Remember to boil before use," he said.

"Nat, can I talk to you?" Shane said, getting out of the Jeep.

"No," Natalie snapped.

"Nat," Shane said.

"What, Shane? You figure out a way to break our son's heart, yet? Cause I mean, why stop at mine?" Natalie snapped.

"I just want to talk," Shane said, trying to stay calm.

"I don't want to," Natalie retorted.

"Natalie---" Shane started.

They were cut off by the sound of a blood curdling scream. It sounded like the boys.

"Mom! Dad!" Nick screamed.

"Nicky!" Shane shouted, taking off running.

"Nicky!" Natalie called, fear engulfing her.