17.) nala

ruby

"You'll be alright. I mean, you've already shared a bed with her." My boyfriend says, holding my hands out the window of Alfie's black car. I stand on the gravel outside of Zoe and Alfie's place, trying to convince Joe to not leave me alone with Zoe for a few hours.

I mean, Zoe is nice and all, and there's nothing bad about her, but the only girl I've ever had a connection with is Regina. It kind of scares me when I'm forced to socialize with other girls. I'm perfectly fine with boys, who are just entertained by nearly anything. I feel like it takes so much more to keep girls interested in a conversation. Most of them that I went to school with just wanted to talk about makeup or boys.

Joe pushes himself partly out the window to kiss me quickly. "Don't leave me, babe." I mutter.

"Gorgeous, go bond with my sister. She doesn't bite." He says quickly before Caspar nudges me slightly out of the way to get in the backseat. Alfie taps my back, right where my tattoo is, before walking around to get in the driver's seat.

Joe lets go of my hands quickly as I try to hold on in attempt to postpone his departure for as long as possible. I watch the black Range Rover pull out of the lot before I turn around, pulling my bag off my shoulder. Zoe smiles and waves at me from across the gravel. I try to copy the enthusiasm in her smile like always, but I just can't quite make it.

When I approach her, she wraps her arms around me tightly. I squeeze her back in return. "Look, I know you don't really like spending time with me-" Zoe starts. I never wanted to make Zoe feel bad. It's just so weird. I'm pretty much "in love" with her boyfriend and on the fast track to actually falling in love with her brother. Okay, yeah, I'll just leave it there.

I interrupt Zoe before she can finish. "No, no. Its not that." She gives me a small look. "Okay, well, not completely. You're just so... I don't know. I feel like you're what every girl strives to be, and I feel awkward that I don't feel that way."

"Love, I don't want you to ever strive to be exactly like me. I'm glad you just want to be you're own person." She smiles warmly and rubs my arm quickly. "I made some sweets for you inside."

"Joe told you I was a foodie?" I joke, following her as she begins walking up to the house.

"Let's be honest, what girl is not a foodie now?" As soon as I step inside the house, I immediately begin sneezing. I never think about these things until it's too late. Nala comes running into the room making me sneeze repeatedly.

"Oh, dear, is it Nala? Are you allergic to dogs?" Zoe asks. I can hear the panic in her voice and between sneezes I try to answer and calm her down at the same time. I remember Joe talking about Zoe's panic disorder, and I can't handle a panic attack and an allergic reaction at the same time.

"Yeah... I'll be... okay... though." I say through sneezes. I walk over to the sliding glass door as Zoe picks up Nala. She takes her upstairs while I open the door, letting fresh air inside. After a few moments of breathing, I'm able to clear my sinuses and breathe happily.

"Joe didn't tell me you were allergic to dogs. I'm so sorry, Ruby." The older girl apologizes, gesturing for me to sit in the lawn chair. She sits next to me, holding the bridge of her nose for a small moment.

"That's because I've never told him. I don't pass many dogs in London. I kinda forgot that Nala even existed." I say, shrugging as I pull the sketchbook out of my bag.

"I'll remember to put her away next time you come over." Zoe notes, nodding to herself slightly as if to assure herself and I. Without a word, she stands and opens the door, leaving it ajar as she enters the house. While she is gone, I begin flipping through the last few pages of sketchbook, trying to find the picture that I started a few days ago.