6.) the buttercream gang

joe

With Caspar out of the house, the past few days have actually been quite awkward. I wish I could say that Ruby and I got along perfectly, and we've been flirting back and forth. But, none of that has happened. She's been hiding out in her room for about two days now. After I had got her to dance with me, and she retreated to her room, she ended up in a screaming match over the phone. She's also had two nights of consecutive nightmares. Those two nights were almost the only times that we had actually talked.

She's currently out of her room, though, but now she's got herself locked in my bathroom instead. I can hear the shower running as I sit on my bed and edit my latest vlog from when Alfie was over. Ruby has made it clear that she doesn't want to be in any videos or vlogs, which is exactly why I'm currently having to cut her out of it. I told her that it was a matter of time before she was in one, but she wants to get completely used to her new life before Caspar and I tell our fans that we have a girl living with us. Our fans freak out every time we mention a girl's name. Imagine what'd they do if we told them a girl is living with us.

The water cuts off in the bathroom, and I hear Ruby's phone ring. "Shit." She says before the ringing stops. When she answers the phone with the most fake happiness, my phone vibrates somewhere in the bed. Picking it up, I see a text from Jack Maynard.

Hey you're still coming tonight right?

I had forgotten about the plans I made with the buttercream gang over a week ago. With Ruby here, everyone has been kind of thrown off. Caspar and I don't want her home by herself, especially at night. Regina sent her over into Caspar's - well, our - hands, and I intend to watch out for Ruby as long as she's here.

"It's really none of your business where I am!" Ruby screams in the bathroom. "I can live with whoever I want!" It's the same conversation she has had the last few days. "You don't own me!"

She throws open the door and stands by my bed. Her wet hair hangs down on her back as she holds the phone in her left hand. "I'm not moving back in with Regina! Yes! Alright, I'm happy living with Joe and Caspar!" She continues her screaming match as I text Jack back.

Yeah and I'm bringing Ruby with us.

"No! No! No! You don't get to tell me how to live my life anymore!" Ruby says. She finally sees me in bed and starts to leave the room, but I stand up to block her way. I take the phone from her hand, and before she can pull it away, I hang up on the caller. Tossing her phone on my bed, I meet her eyes. They're full of tears and anger. I begin to ask her who she was talking to, but she interrupts me. "Next time she calls, you get to talk to her."

"Was it your mum?" I ask her. She nods, wiping both of hers eyes. When she moves her hands, all the tears are gone, and she grins at me.

"Everyone says I got my fire from her. I think they're telling the truth." She laughs. "I'm going to take an early night."

"No, you're not." I say. She gives me a threatening look as she crosses her arms. She always seems scary until I remember the way she curls up and cries at night. It hurts my heart to see her so vulnerable at night, especially when she acts so tough during the day. "Blow dry your hair and put on some clothes. We're going out." I tell her, gesturing to her pajamas that she never changed out of.

"I don't actually want to date you, Sugg." Ruby says.

"Jack and Conor will be there." I say in the most monotone voice I can muster. Her eyes open a little bit wider before she smiles.

"You're learning how to get me to do things." She says. She turns and goes back to the bathroom. I hear the hairdryer come on, and it stays on the entire time I get my Converses on and tied. When she comes out, her hair is in high ponytail, and her makeup is done down to a T. Her lips are a bright red, and her eyes are coated in almost solid black eye shadow.