Brock

Ash and Serena arrived at Pewter City in the afternoon. Ash was pumped, there was time for a gym battle with Brock.

"Serena, are you going to watch my gym battle against Brock?" Ash asked sensitively, knowing that she had been hurt by the fact that no one except Miette had shown up to her Pokemon Showcase.

"Of course," Serena said brightly, although Ash could tell she was upset, "I wouldn't miss it for the world. Brock's the first gym leader, right?"

"Yeah! Lets go to the gym, Serena!" Ash exclaimed, and started in the direction of the gym, before bumping into a girl.

"Are you Ash Ketchum," said the girl, a sneer permanently etched on her face, "Because if you are, me and my brother have been waiting for you."

"Who are you?" Ash asked, assuming they wanted to battle him. The girl replied, "My name is Petrah, and this is my twin brother Marcus." She gestured at a boy hidden in the shadows.

"Please don't Petrah." Marcus whimpered, "I don't want to battle him." Petrah smiled, it seemed like she loved making people hurt, "Marcus, battle Ash. Do it, or face the consequences." As Marcus stepped out of the shadows, Ash could see the family resemblance . They both had violet eyes and white blond hair, though Marcus's frail body was pale as Petrah's was tan.

"I won't stand for this." Ash said, defiant, "You battle me, Petrah, or I'll go and fight Brock. It's your choice." Petrah looked shocked, but said, "After I defeat Brock, I'll battle you Ash Ketchum, and that's a promise!" Petrah yelled before running off.

"Petrah is a psychopath!" Serena exclaimed, her face contorted in rage, "How can she think it is okay to force her brother to battle!" Ash said, "I agree Serena, but we can't do anything about it. someone has let this go on. We are not their parents, we can't stop Petrah, even if we tried."

" I just wish we could." Serena said wistfully, as she and Ash walked to the Pewter City gym

***

Ash walked over to where Brock was sitting, waiting for battle. "Ash!" Brock exclaimed, excited to see his old friend until he took in Serena, standing beside Ash, "Who are you?" asked Brock his eyes, which were usually slits, turned into big red love hearts.

"My name is Serena." Serena said nervously, obviously wondering why he was asking her name. Ash then realised his mistake, he had forgotten how Brock was around girls. On their journeys together, he had flirted with every girl they met, so much that it had become comical. But for some reason he had this feeling, that he didn't want Serena to go anywhere near Brock. Jealousy, he realised with a pang of guilt. He and Serena were just friends, he reasoned, she could do anything with anyone she wanted to. It was then that Ash realised that he didn't want her to. He just wanted her to stay with him.

"Brock, old friend, I wish to challenge you to gym battle. Serena, why don't you go and watch in the stands?" Serena said, "Sure Ash!" and walked up to the stands. Brock nodded his head and said, "Sure, Go Geodude!" as he called out his Pokemon. Ash smiled, he was hoping for rock types.

"Okay, go Bulbasaur!" Ash said, "Use Razor Leaf!" Bulbasaur complied, and the leaves carved right through Geodude's rocky shell.

"You Bulbasaur is really strong Ash," Brock said, "But I wonder, can it beat Onix?" Ash smiled, "It sure can, Brock!" Brock then returned Geodude as the razor leaf attack had fainted him.

"Okay then, Go Onix!" Brock said, his face covered in sweat. He was obviously feeling the pain his Pokemon was feeling. Ash then commanded, "Bulbasaur, I trust you. Do what ever you think is best." Bulbasaur smiled and hit Onix with a powerful Vine Whip. It was so powerful, it cut deep lacerations into Onix's rocky body. It was too much for Onix , and he fell onto the ground.

"Good job Ash," Brock said, his face emotionless, "You earned the Boulder Badge." Ash shook hands with Brock, and then he and Serena walked out of the gym, with Bulbasaur at their sides.

"Ash, that was amazing!" Serena said, "But is something wrong with Bulbasaur? She is turning a blueish shade and her bud is opening." Ash said, "I don't know. Let's get her to Nurse Joy right away!"