AotD - 30

Sorry, another short chapter today guys. Hope you enjoy it. Either way, about 75% of the way done.

Lieutenant checked her weapons one last time before looking to her assistant. “Get me the four Commanders, I need to speak with them about our plan.”

“Yes ma’am,” he said and ran off into the tunnel. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, driving the memories that came bubbling to the surface back down into the recesses of her mind.  Drake would pay for what he did to her, and he would pay tonight.  She'd make sure of that.

Four hours later, Lieutenant smiled as the approached the western edge of the dome.  She placed her hand on dome and a hiss of pain escaped her as the sun burnt the tips of her fingers.

"We must wait another hour until the shadows are long enough for us to pass through and continue on our way, Madame," the Demon Commander with her said.

"Alright," Lieutenant nodded.  She watched as her skin stitched back together, leaving no scar. She settled in for the wait and felt the anticipation growing as she prepared herself for the first city assault she'd lead in twenty-three years. Something felt off though, the last time she did this, she had the straight lipped, emotionless faces of her friends alongside her. Their good humored banter flying back and forth on the comm lines until Drake got them back on focus, and then cracked a small joke of his own.

She shook the happy memory from her mind and drove her fingers into her temple, massaging it.  Good memories of Drake brought her out, and Lieutenant didn't like her. She could have overthrown Lieutenant if she really tried, the memories always weakened Lieutenant. She already had too much control, comforting the stupid assistant and controlling her lips.

The sun sank below the horizon an hour later and Lieutenant touched the dome once more. Her hand became smoke and she easily slipped through, the other demons following her. Flitting through the forest, Lieutenant felt her influence taking hold, the strategic mind analyzing every tree and rock, constantly searching for threat and easier ways into the city. The wall to the royal gardens reared in the distance, maybe a mile out. With a quick check of her weapons once more, she ensured herself that she was ready. They had to capture the princess, that would be difficult already. Scaling the wall, they dropped onto the other side and materialized. As they crept through the widely spaced trees and various bushes, all immaculately cared for, she put her hand up and several demons took to the trees.

Two people walked through the garden, hands entangled. They didn’t look like guards, maybe the prince, he’d be a quick grab unprotected out here in the garden without his bodyguards. The girl wouldn’t be necessary, she would be killed, no point in holding onto her. Lieutenant smiled, motioning for the demons to surround the area as the two lovebirds approached, blissfully unaware of their fate.

As they got closer, she tilted her head and looked closer. It wasn’t the prince, but another boy. A vampire. Something down inside of her began to burn. She wouldn’t mind killing him and any other of those damned creatures that considered themselves pure. Stalking towards them, she drew the sword from her belt and snapped it out.