AotD - 9

The pain in Ebony’s wrists vanished as the chain’s vaporized and pain flashed through her hip as she hit the hard ground. Without need for it, the nanosuit's helmet retracted into the suit. Tear’s rolled down her cheeks and dripped from the jaw, sizzling as they hit the floor below. She pushed herself up, the stone beneath her surprisingly cool to the touch. Fire torches seemed to sprout from random fissures in the stone. The room was unfurnished and illuminated only by the fires which cast strange shadows over the stone. An ornate bronze door sat inlaid on the stone across from her. She lay there sobbing as Lucifer walked around her, his footsteps echoing in the room and a cocky smile plastered on his face.

       Lucifer knelt down and placed his hand on her back. “Don't cry, dearest Ebony, I'm not going to hurt you," Lucifer whispered lovingly. His hand ran over her back, and his fingers entangled themselves in her hair, running through it several times.

       Ebony lashed out with her palm, trying to shove him away. He didn’t move at all no matter how much she pushed him. She looked up at him, tears glistened on her cheeks in the firelight. “You didn't have to kill him!” she cried. Her wail of anguish filling the room.

       “I wasn’t going to kill him,” Lucifer admitted, “then he decided to put a piece of concrete in my shoulder.” His sticky fingers touched her face, caressing her cheek as a forbidden midnight lover would as she tried to pull away from him, her thrashing growing in intensity. He held tight, his sticky fingers continuing to caress her face and brushed a stray hair from her face as he pulled her into him entangling his one hand in her hair, his mouth beside her ear, his breath warming her neck. He spoke softly, whispering to her as if they were lovers. “You are mine, now and until the end of your days, my beautiful angel of death.” His wet lips touched the skin below her ear, causing her to recoil away from him, this time practically flying out of his grip. She rolled a few feet away over the smooth stone and sat up.

       Ebony sucked back her tears, trying to sound confident.“I will never be yours,” Ebony responded. “Never.” She lifted her chin and dropped her shoulders back, her back becoming a stiff board. “You don’t scare me.” Her entire body shook with fear as she said this but it was more to confirm it to herself, than prove a point to Lucifer. The smile that cross Lucifer’s lips struck fear to her core and he grabbed her ankle. All it took was a swift yank and her wrists were pinned below his hands with his knees beside her hips. His face just inches from her, his breath warming her cheeks.

        “You think that now,” he whispered, “but not to worry my dear, you will give yourself to me eventually. You will throw yourself into my arms as graciously as you would your lovers.” His sticky lips touched hers and she stayed as still as possible, trying not to burst into tears. Then he was gone, vanished in a puff of smoke, and tears cascaded onto her cheeks with her sobs filling the room.

***

       Ebony clutched her rosary, rubbing the tarnished bead under her finger as she prayed. The words rolling over her lips in a low whisper, trying to contact Raphael or Michael but her terror and anguish jumbled her words. The images of Nathan’s broken body amongst the concrete shards and dust with the knife sticking out of his chest brought a fresh wave of hot tears spilling down her cheeks. Her grip on the rosary loosened with every sobbing gasp until it slipped from her fingers, clattering to the ground. Freed of their magical constraints, the beads split apart and rolled in every direction, beginning to glow a deep red. Unable to support herself, Ebony curled into a sobbing ball on the stone, her tears sizzling as they fell from her cheeks until her eyes stung.

       With no more tears to cry she reached out and picked up the cross from her rosary. The cherry red cross seared her finger tips and she nearly dropped it. The silver began to rapidly cool as the beads shot out of every corner in the room, tiny spinning red hot projectiles tracing deadly arcs through the air before they reassembled themselves. She pressed her lips to the cross, the remaining heat searing them and her mouth filled with coppery blood. She stood cautiously, testing her legs to see if they would support her. Once confident they would take her weight, she made her way to the door.