Chapter 19

I sighed as I walked through my front door, dropping my briefcase to the floor wearily. It had been a very long day at work. With the loss of their sheriff and my mother on the loose, people were beginning to panic. It didn't help much when Leroy burst into Granny's yelling about how we were all doomed to anyone who had ears. As a result, I was now flooded with emails and paperwork that would take weeks to get through, and I came home every day utterly spent.

I hung up my coat on the hook and walked over to the sitting room. Usually I was a stickler over leaving shoes on the floor, but this past week I'd been so tired I didn't care. I kicked off my heels and plopped on the couch, putting my feet up on the pillow. I sighed as I ran my fingers through my hair, massaging my scalp. I was more than ready for a glass of red wine and good music.

But it didn't last. I'd only been sitting for a couple of minutes when I heard a knock at the door. I groaned in protest, but another knock motivated me to get up. I walked up to the door and peered through the peephole. Recognizing the visitor, I opened the door.

"David? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I'm here to pick up Henry, like I have every day this week," he replied.

"Oh! I thought Mary Margaret told you: I had to work late today, so I asked her to take Henry home from school."

"Really?" David asked. He reached in his pocket and pulled out his phone to check. "Yep. It's dead." He sighed and rubbed his eyes.

"Are you okay, David?" I inquired, concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he reassured me. "I'm just tired. The station's been really busy this week."

"Well, would you like to come in for a minute? I'm leaving in a little bit, but I'm sure you'd like to put your feet up."

"Honestly? That would be great."

I stepped aside and ushered David inside. Immediately, he walked into the sitting room and sat in one of the armchairs. I was constantly having to remind myself that David and I were a lot closer than I remembered. Even so, I was a little bit annoyed that he didn't even ask to sit or wait for me. He groaned loudly as he lowered himself into the cusions.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I just haven't sat down in a while. It feels nice."

I nodded. "Do you want anything? I have some apple cider I made yesterday."

"You got anything stronger?"

I chuckled. "Of course." I walked over to the table in the hallway and poured two glasses of the whiskey from the decanter. For some reason, I found David's request incredibly funny. Not neccissarily that what he said was humorous...but how he said it made me want to laugh. I couldn't figure out why, though. I shook it off, realizing that I was just standing by the table, not moving, while I had a guest waiting for a drink.

"Thank you," said David as I handed him his drink.

"You're welcome." I took a seat and started sipping from the crystal glass. We sat in silence for a minute, just sipping our drinks and looking off into the distance. Then I heard a faint clink and rustling, and I looked toward the sound. David had sat up and placed his glass on the coffee table. He was looking pointedly at a large scrapbook in the middle of a table.

"Did Mary Margaret give you that?" he asked.

"Yes," I answered. "She was hoping it might help with..." I trailed off. He understood.

"I see. Well, has it?"

"I don't know yet. I wanted to look at it with Emma."

He nodded in understanding. "Are you going to wisit her tonight?"