Chapter 3

I ran to the stable crying. "Daniel?!?" I called.

Daniel stood up. "What is it?" He asked, hearing the panic in my voice. I ran up and threw my arms around him.

I never wanted to let go.

"Marry me." I whispered.

"Regina, what are you doing?" He asked, confused. "What happened?"

"That little girl I saved today; that was the King's daughter. And now he's proposed to me! My mother accepted!" I was completely devastated. Then, an idea occurred to me. "The only way out is to run," I said.

"Regina, do you realize what that would mean?"

"It doesn't matter. All that matters to me is you."

Daniel smiled. "If I'm going to marry you," he said in a low voice, "let's do this properly." He reached over to the saddle and pulled out one of the gold rings. Then he ever-so-gently slipped it on my finger. It was a perfect fit. I was overflowing with joy, and I threw my arms around him and kissed him.

Then I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I turned, and there was my mother standing in the doorway.

"You could have at least left a note," she said dryly. She waved her hand, and sent us flying backwards. I tried to stand up, but another wave of magic sent me tumbling back on the floor. Daniel was already back on his feet, but before he could defend himself my mother had closed the distance between them and shoved her hand in his chest.

"NO!" I screamed, scrambling up.
Mother pulled her hand back, taking Daniel's glowing red heart with her. I rushed to Daniel, who had collapsed to the floor. Cradling his face, I begged and pleaded for him to come back. But he didn't move. I looked up just in time to see the last grains of dust fall from my mother's hand.

"What have you done???" I screamed.
My mother was calm and collected.

"You may not realize it yet, but this is your happy ending."

"What?!?"

"Love is weakness, dear," she said. "The sooner you understand that the better."

I looked back down, but now instead of Daniel there was a woman. A strong, blonde, beautiful woman who now lay before me pale and without pulse.
Emma.

___________

"NO!" I jerked awake, breathing heavily. I was sticky with perspiration, my mouth was dry, and my heart was hammering in my chest. 

It was just a dream, I thought to myself. Even so, I was shaking violently.

I felt a cold hand on my shoulder. I jumped, startled.

"Hey, Regina," said a low female voice.
I turned at the familiar voice. Emma was lying on the bed next to me, her hair in a disheveled pile around her head. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, it's nothing," I said, trying to play it cool.  "I just...had a nightmare."

"It didn't sound like nothing," she argued.

"I'm okay," I insisted. "I just...need some water." I swung my legs around to the side of the bed. The cool night air nipped at my bare legs and made me flinch. I was shaking so hard that I wasn't sure I could walk. I got up, a little wobbly, but made it out of the door and down the stairs. I walked down the dark hallway and flipped on the kitchen light. Somehow, the kitchen looked different in the middle of the night, more...vulnerable. I didn't know how to explain it, but it didn't make me feel any better. I quickly grabbed a glass from the cupboard & filled it with water from the tap. I took a sip. It was a little warmer than I liked, but at least it was wet.