Chapter 17

"You're telling me, that after I cursed you your daughter, who just so happens to also be Henry's biological mother, broke the curse...and then I married her?"

"Yes! And you two fought hard for it, too." Mary Margaret insisted.

"Right, because she refused Captain Hook's proposal, confessed her love to me, and I immediately ran to her. Correct?"

"Well, not immediately, but yes."

"Well that's as silly of a story as I've ever heard." I laughed. "I didn't know your imagination stretched that far."

We were at my house, sitting at the table and drinking tea. Mary Margaret and David were telling me a ludicrous story about me. It actually wasn't a bad story: a little far-fetched for my taste, but there was a lot of good points. It sounded like an amateur's surprisingly okay first attempt at a fanfiction: they didn't know when to stop throwing curveballs, but they could definitely stir up drama.

"It's true, Regina," said David. "And now Emma is under a sleeping curse."

I studied his expression, looking for a sign that he was kidding. He didn't even twitch. "You're being serious aren't you?" I asked.

He merely nodded in response.

"And I'm sorry for your loss," I said, trying to be sympathetic, "but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about that."

"Use true love's kiss! Break the curse!" Mary Margaret shouted.

" I can't! I'm sure she's a lovely girl, but I can't love someone I've never met."

"But you have! You married her, for God's sake!"

"Well, I don't remember doing that, so it makes no difference. How can you love someone you don't even remember?" I was getting frustrated. Did they not understand English? "If you love her so much, why don't you break the curse?"

"We tried," a different voice said from the doorway. I whirled around to see Henry, leaning against the doorframe.

"Henry!" I lept up and embraced my son.

"Hey, Mom." He hugged me back, gently squeezing me comfortingly. "You doing okay?"

"I...I don't know. I think so."

"Good." Henry took my hand and started leading me out the door. "Come on, you have to save Mom."

I stopped in my tracks, letting go of Henry's hand. I felt my heart grow heavy in my chest. "...Mom?"

"Yeah. We need to find Mom."

"But...but I thought I was Mom."

Suddenly, Henry's eyes widened in realization. "Oh, no no no." He stuttered, blundering to find the words to make everything okay. "Mom, th-that's not what I meant. You're still Mom...but so is she."

"But...but I don't understand. How could this have happened? How did she even find you?"

Henry's face fell, and he looked down at the floor. I heard David clear his throat behind me. "Or..." I said in terrified realization, "...did you find her?"

"Mom..."

"What happened? Why did you have to go find her? Henry..."