Chapter Twenty-Three

Aiden

"Come on. You've been out of the hospital for over a week. You're safe to start coming to school again." I told Sammy as he laid in my bed. He had upgraded from the couch a few days ago.

"But I don't want to go." He whined, his eyes still closed.

"I know but it's kinda mandatory now isn't it?" I stated.

Sammy groaned as he opened his eyes and threw his feet off the bed. "I hate school. Why did anyone ever think it was a good idea?" He asked.

"Because it makes you smarter so life's not harder." I said.

"Hey, that rhymed." Sammy pointed out.

"Wow, I'm a poet and didn't even know it." I said with a smile.

Sammy chuckled. "That was terrible." He said as he smiled at me.

"Hurry up and get ready or we're gonna be late." I said.

"Alright alright, I'm doing it." He said, walking over to his suitcase and pulling out a pair of clothes.

"We really need to get you a dresser." I said.

"No, I don't want to take up space in you room." He replied.

"Look around. My room is practically empty." I said, gesturing around the room.

Sammy just shook his head with a smile before he walked into the bathroom to change. Once he was done we started off for school.

***

We pulled into the school parking lot in Sammy's car. I was driving since Sammy still hadn't seemed to have his motor skills back. He tried to drive yesterday and almost hit an old lady.

"Hey.. um, are we ready for this?" Sammy asked.

"For what?" I asked him. I looked over to see he had an almost pained look on his face.

"For everyone to find out about us." He asked, looking into my eyes.

"Well, I don't know, are we?" I asked.

"I mean.. I'm ready as long as you're ready." He said.

"I'm more than ready as long as you are." I said, giving him a supportive smile.

He smiled back before leaning in and kissing me. "I love you." He said, staring into my eyes.

"I love you too." I said before kissing him again. "Now let's get started with our six hours of hell." I said after I broke the kiss.

We both grabbed our bags and got out of the car. We held hands as we walked up to and through the front doors of the school, causing people to turn their heads and stare. No one said anything as they watched us walk inside, hand in hand.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I had been holding once we reached an empty hallway. "Good god I have way to much stage fright." I said shaking my head.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay. Everything is gonna be okay." Sammy said, lifting my chin and kissing me.

"Why is it you two.are always kissing when I'm around?" I heard someone say. I looked over to see Lucy standing a few feet away.

"Hey Lucy." Sammy said smiling.

"Hello." She replied.

"How'd you get to school by the way?" I asked her.

"I have my ways." She said mysteriously.

"Your ways huh? Are you selling drugs for rides?" I asked jokingly.

"No, where the hell did that come from?!" She asked.

"Just making sure." I said, shrugging.

"Well, we should all probably get going now. First period is starting in two minutes, bye." She said before she started to walk away.

"Bye." Sammy and I both said before she disappeared behind the corner and before we walked away ourselves.

***

After school

Sammy

"Okay, pick me up around 5, ok?" I told Aiden through the phone.

"K, see you then. Love you." He replied.

"Love you too." I replied before hanging up the phone.

I walked out onto the football field, putting my helmet on. "Welcome back Sammy." Coach said.

"Thanks Coach." I replied. He nodded before walking away and sitting on a bench. I walked out to the field with everyone else and we started practicing.

***

After practice

"Hey Sammy. Can I talk to you for a secon" My sort of friend Greg asked.

"Um.. sure." I said, finishing putting my stuff in my locker.

I followed him as he led me outside to where there wasn't anyone else around. "Is it true that you're uh.." He stopped and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Is what true?" I asked.

"Is it true that you're dating a guy?" He asked.

"Um.. ya." I said, taking a moment to process the question. "Do you have a problem with that?" I asked.

"No no no! I'm totally okay with that." He reassured me, holding his hands up in surrender. "It's just.. some of the other guys on the team are starting to say some unpleasant things." He said.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Well.. for one, they're saying that 'A faggot's like him shouldn't be captain.' and other stuff. Also, that's their words not mine. I don't like using that word." He said.

"Well, if that's their opinion then they can keep it. It's not like I care what they think. Thank too, for telling me all of this." I told him.

"No problem." He said, giving me a supportive smile before he walked away.

I let put a sigh and shook my head as I turned around and walked towards the parking lot, already seeing Aiden, tapping his fingers to a song that was playing in my car. The sight made me smile and push my previous conversation to the back of my mind. Who cares what people think?