A New Teacher

I stayed in bed most of the week. Every time I moved my left side hurt badly. Towards the end of the week I felt better. I didn't see my my father during the week. Alison brought my meals upstairs for me. I ignored her most of the time but after three days I couldn't stand it. I had to know what had happened to Spirit.

Alison entered with a tray of her broccoli and cheese soup with some bread and a glass of water. She set it down on the table beside my bed. She turned to leave when I said, "Wait. Can I tell ask you something?"
Alison as cheerful as always smiled and closed the door. She sat down on the edge of my bed and asked softly, "what is it Kate?" I looked towards the window to keep my tears from falling. "Is Spirit dead? Did my dad kill him?"

Alison looked shocked. "What makes you think Robert killed him?" I turned towards her. "What? He's not dead?" Alison smiled gently.
"No Kate your father didn't kill him. We can't find him."

I sighed in relief. "Where is he then?"
"We don't know. He wasn't around when we found you." I remained quite. Where could he have gone? To his herd most likely. While I was revealed that now harm had come to him I was also sad to see him leave. I didn't even get to say goodbye, but I blamed that on myself.

Alison was watching me closely. "I'm sure he'll come back." "What makes you say that?" I asked. She smiled. "He loves you." Did I want him to come back? Spirit was no doubt happy to be back home with his herd. For now I was going to leave it. I had another pressing matter to deal with.

"Alison did my dad mean it when he said I wasn't going to the equestrian club?"
Alison nodded. "Yes he was serious."
I already had a plan forming. So I smiled brightly and said, "okay I don't care about some club anyway. Thank you for telling me about Spirit." Alison squeezed my hand and left the room. I finished my food then left the tray on the table again.

Tomorrow I was going to the equestrian club. My mind was made up.
My alarm rang 6:30 am. I quickly turned it off and jumped out of bed wincing a little. My left side had healed but it still hurt sometimes. I quickly changed into a riding legging and a simple T shirt. One my way down I ate a bit of toast and cheese and drank my water, grabbing my backpack and throwing my phone and a water bottle in I slowly jogged towards the stables. I ran to Bella's stall and found her wide awake. I put a bucket of oats and water for her to eat. While Bella ate her breakfast I saddled her up.

Once she was done eating I took the reins and led her out of the stall. Once outside I closed the stable doors and mounted her. Bella took off at a slow canter. Once past our ranch sign I anxiously looked back. No one had seen us. Checking the watch on my wrist I was it was exactly seven. Class started in one hour and it would take thirty minutes to get to Brianna's ranch.

I nudged Bella into a gallop. Once on the highway I kept her on the grass to avoid cars. My father would likely kill me when he found out, but right now I didn't care. I was enjoying myself. The sun was slowly rising and the air was cool and crisp. Perfect day for riding.

From time to time I slowed Bella down to let her catch her breath. I tried to remember where Brianna's ranch was. My dad kept going straight till we reached a sign on the road.

Bella had leaned down and started grazing. I slowly nudged her side. Bella tossed her head. "I'm sorry girl but we need to go. On the way back I'll let you graze okay?" Bella flicked her tail and took off galloping again. I leaned down and pressed my face into her neck.

Ten minutes past eight we were coming to a halt in front of Brianna's house. I quickly dismounted. Where was I supposed to take Bella? Thankfully at that moment Megan, Brianna's mom opened the front door. She had a phone to her ear. "No no Kate's not here Robert class started 10 minutes ago." She stopped talking when she saw me. And I realized that she was talking to my dad! "Kate you're here that's good. Give me a second."
I rushed towards her. "No please don't tell my dad." Either she didn't hear me or she ignored me.

"Yes Kate's here now we'll goodbye." She put her phone in her pocket. "Kate didn't your father know you were coming?" I shook my head. "I think he forgot today was the first lesson." What a lie. Of course that wasn't true he'd banned me from coming to the club.
Megan looked over at Bella who was standing a few feet behind me. "I'll take care of your horse you hurry up and get to your lesson."

"Thank you." I walked towards Bella and gave her a grateful pat on the neck. Then I hurried to the back.
It seemed everyone was already there. In fact the lesson had started. There was another girl besides myself and Brianna. They were practicing jumping. A woman with a black pixie hair cut was standing besides Jacob's and the other girls horse, watching Brianna jump.
Jacobs had leaned back in his saddle and was looking bored. "Brianna stay focused!" The woman barked. I caught Brianna rolling her eyes as her horse missed a jump. I walked up to the woman. "Um excuse me? I'm Kate and I'm new to this club?" The woman turned around. The moment I saw her face I knew that this woman was strict. She had brown hawk likes eyes and sharp jaw which she clenched when she saw me.

"Your Kate right?" She asked with her hands on her hips. I nodded. "Well why were you late?" She snapped. "Give her a break Ms Moore she's new!" Called Jacob.
Ms Moore turned towards Jacob. "Quiet Mr. I don't care if she is new she has to be here on time." Turning to me she said, "I'm your new teacher."

-picture above is from Pinterest . He fits Jacob's description