Try again

Pic from the movie Flicka 3: Country Pride^

I took a deep breath as I slowly approached Spirit. He was grazing inside the pasture. Tom had put all the horses back in their stalls so I could train Spirit without any interferences.

Spirit lifted his head. He slowly trotted towards me. I raised my hand and stroked his forehead. "Hey Boy." Over the past 2 weeks Spirit had warmed up to me a great deal. He never reared or tried to hurt me. In fact he seemed to enjoy my company. Unfortunately I couldn't say the same for my dad, Tom and Alison. Spirit wouldn't let them near him.

After giving him a sugar cube I slowly picked up the halter. Spirit eyed it warily. "It's okay boy. I'm just gonna start something new today." Spirit took a step back as I raised the bridle. I quickly stroked his neck and spoke to him. Spirit relaxed slightly but kept a eye on the halter.

I slowly lifted it and managed to get the halter over his muzzle before he reared. I quickly dropped the halter and flung myself out of the way just as his hooves slammed the ground . He angrily whinnied and reared up again. This time his hooves came down on halter. He'd crushed the it. I watched as he pounded the halter to bits. I had to admit even when he was angry Spirit looked beautiful. His coat gleamed, his teeth were bared and his black mane whipped around his face.

Spirit took off galloping around the pasture, kicking his back legs in the air. He was still agitated. I stood up and dusted my jeans. Then I pulled out some sugar cubes from my pocket and called out to Spirit.

"Spirit! here boy. Look what I've got." I held out the sugar cubes in my palm for him to see. Spirit calmed down a few minutes later. He came trotting towards me with his tail held high. I couldn't help but laugh. Spirit crunched the sugar cubes. "How am I going to train you?" I muttered.

Spirit nudged my shoulder. I smiled and stroked his forehead. "How's it going?"
I turned around and saw Robert standing against the gate. Spirit whinnied and galloped away. I looked back at Spirit. "Okay I guess." Robert indicated the ruined halter. "You didn't get hurt did you?" I shook my head. "But the halter did." Robert smiled. "I still don't think you should train him. He's wild."

I crossed my arms. "Wild to you not me. And I won't give up I'll train him." Robert shook his head at my stubbornness. As he walked away he called, "good luck!" I huffed. He didn't think I could do it. Well I was going to prove him wrong. I was going to prove them all wrong.
I turned to Spirit. "I'll be right back," I told him.

Fifteen minutes later I was back in the pasture with another halter this time I was determined not drop it. I called Spirit over. His body tensed again when he saw the halter again. I quickly spoke to him. Spirit calmed down as I rubbed his neck. Then I held up the halter for him to see.

"It's just a halter it won't hurt you I promise." Spirit stood still. Then he stretched his neck and sniffed the halter. I stood still, as he examined it. After a few minutes Spirit pulled away and looked at me as if to say okay it's safe.

I smiled. This time I stood beside him as i lifted the halter with one hand, with the other I stroked his neck and whispered soothing words. Spirit tensed again as I lifted the halter over his muzzle. His ears twitched as I used both hands pull it over his head. The halter would do for now. Spirit wasn't read for a bit.

The halter was securely over his head. I held the rope tightly. Spirit's ears twitched and he pawed the grass angrily. Uh oh. Without warning he took off galloping. I was dragged through the grass and dirt. I pulled on the rope but Spirit continued galloping around the pasture. My stomach scraped the ground.

Over the pounding of hooves I yelled, "Spirit stop!" But he didn't even seem to notice that I was being dragged. I hastily let go of the rein. I finally rolled to a stop spitting grass and dirt out. I lay still. My stomach felt like it was on fire. "Kate!" I heard someone called.

Then I felt a pair of strong arms haul me to my feet. It was Tom. I staggered. "Are you okay?" Tom asked anxiously. I nodded. "I'm fine." Tom looked up at Spirit who was still galloping around.

"I'd better take that halter off him," I said. Tom grabbed my arm. "Don't let him keep it on for a few hours." I bit my lip. "But he could hurt himself." Tom shook his head. "He'll get tired of running around and shaking his head. Around dinner time come and feed him."

"In the meantime," Tom continued. "Lets get you cleaned up." I looked back at Spirit once before nodding.

With Tom's help I managed to sneak upstairs to my room without Robert and Alison noticing. After taking a warm shower and relaxing a bit I walked downstairs to the dinning room. Alison had cooked some steak.

I started to eat my dinner as fast as I could chew. "Wow slow down there Kate," said Robert. Alison looked up. I smiled. "I gotta go and feed Spirit." Robert frowned. "Well slow down Spirits not gonna die if he waits a few more minutes."

I ignored him and continued eating. Finally I put my plate in the sink and ran outside. I grabbed two buckets. One filled with oats the other with water.

After the long walk to the pasture I unlocked the gate and set the buckets down. Squinting in the darkness I saw Spirit towards the far side of the pasture. "Spirit!" I called. Wether he was hungry, or tired of having the halter on, I heard him galloping towards me.

He stopped a few feet from me. The rope dangled from his neck. I held up the bucket of oats. His ears pricked forward. "Your dinner," I said as I held out the bucket.

Spirit didn't move. He eyed me then the bucket. I sighed. I shouldn't have listened to Tom. Poor Spirit was afraid to eat. I set the bucket down and gently pulled the halter off.

Spirit shook his head. Immediately he lowered his head and dunked his muzzle in the bucket of oats. I stroked his neck as he ate. "I'm sorry for that. Well try again tomorrow," I whispered. Spirit merely pawed the ground and continued eating.

At least he seemed happier. After taking a long drink of water, he pressed his muzzle against my face. I laughed. His tongue was wet and rough.

I stayed beside him long into the night. Soon we both fell asleep and the halter lay forgotten on the grass.