Home Again

My dad remained silent as we drove home. I pointedly ignored him, though I knew I was going to have to face the consequences soon.
After a few minutes Robert turned to me. "Kate what am I going to do with you?" I remained silent. "Do you know how worried I was when I saw that you had been gone? What if a car hit you? What if you'd gotten lost!"

I finally turned to him. "Well you didn't have to ban me from that club I wanted to go and you gave me no other option." Robert sharply turned the car. "I had every right to keep you inside after that stunt you pulled." I knew he was referring to what had happened with Spirit.
My stomach clenched as I thought of
Spirit. Where was he? What was he doing? I had to remind myself that he could take care of himself, that he was the leader of a large herd.

Robert was watching me closely. As if reading my thoughts he said, "we don't know where he is." I looked out the window.

The rest of the car ride was spent in silence. We finally arrived home and I led Bella out of the trailer and back to the stable where Tom took care of her. Then i ran back to my room where I lay on my bed, suddenly tired.
A few minutes later i decided to take a quick shower. After drying my hair and changing into a simple track suit I almost fell asleep when I remembered my chores. Helping Alison. Ugh I stood up and made my way downstairs.
Maybe if I did all my chores and kept my head down he would reconsider letting me to go to the equestrian club.

So throughout the whole day I helped Alison. First with preparing lunch, then washing the dishes. Afterwards she went to the back to her garden. I trudged after her. I helped her dig and plant some flowers. It was awkward and uncomfortable for me. I didn't know what to say to her. I was still furious at my dad for marrying another woman after mom had died. Did he even care that she was gone? Alison seemed like a nice woman but she was never going to replace my mother.

My mother who had died trying to train a wild Horse. I couldn't remember what the horse looked like, only that the horse had been jet black. My father had been mad with grief. He'd intended to kill the horse but the horse had escaped. According to my dad, he never saw the horse again. I realized that my eyes had teared up. If only mom was alive. Everything would have been so different. I realized that Alison had been watching me.

I stood up and dusted the soil from my sweatpants. "I'm a little tired can I go to my room?" Alison nodded. As i walked past her, she said, "are you sure your okay Kate?" Without looking back at her I nodded.

For the rest of the day I stayed in my room reading my book. For dinner I went back down again and helped Alison, afterwards I was back in my room. I decided to sleep early. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

It only seemed a few minutes later when I woke again. Checking the watch I saw it was 1:00 am. I groaned. I was about to close my eyes again when I heard a loud whinny. I sat up again. I knew that whinny. It was Spirit's. Forgetting that I was in a tank top and shorts I ran downstairs and pulled on my boots. Silently I unlocked the door and stepped out into the cool night.
As my eyes adjusted to the dark I looked around. Nothing. Maybe I had imagined it. I turned and was about to go back inside when I heard it again, Spirit's whinny.

It was coming from near the hiking trail. I quickly ran towards the trail. Once in the line of trees I stopped. It was so dark here. I wish I'd brought a flashlight. I rubbed my arms and took a few more steps, before calling "Spirit!" A few seconds of silence then there was an answering whinny. I took off running towards the sound.

Finally I came to the hill and the moonlight overhead illuminated the scene. Spirit was standing atop the hill, his head held high.
His black coat gleamed and his eyes were fierce, his ears alert. He was so beautiful. "Spirit," I called softly. He turned and looked right at me. Recognizing me he nickered softly and walked towards me. I slowly walked up to him.

We stopped a few feet from each other. Then i raised my hand and Spirit tossed his head before walking towards me. I gently rubbed his forehead. Then I leaned over and pressed a kiss against his muzzle. "I missed you," I said as he nudged my shoulder. Spirit was home and I couldn't have been happier.