"You never saw me here," her voice was hard, strained almost. She lacked the Imperial accent, but that didn't mean she didn't work for them.

Cassian's face fell emotionless. He couldn't tell if she was in the Alliance, a bounty hunter, or a spy for the Emperor himself. All three groups would send someone to dig up dirt. His eyes flickered down to her feet, then back up to her straight face as she made her way to the door. When she passed him, he quickly knocked the blaster out of her hand.

Talia made a sharp turn and elbowed him right in the rib cage. He staggered backwards, but rebounded just as quick. Cassian yanked her back before she could exit through the door and put her in a choke hold. She struggled against him as he dragged her back towards the desk. Talia kicked him and tried to scratch his face, but Cassian took the hits. He took the pain. Sharp burning pains rose in the parts of his body that were hit and he winced.

Cassian didn't let it get to him. He couldn't let it. He held on tightly, but loose enough to let her breathe a bit. "Who do you work for?" No response. Cassian brought Talia closer and he growled lowly, "Are you part of the Rebel Alliance?" Talia grunted, but gave no answer. She threw her head back to hit him, but he dodged it. Cassian held on tighter. "I'll take that as a yes. I'm going to let you go in a moment. Don't run. We're here on the same mission."

Talia furrowed her brow in confusion. Meeting another spy in the field? That's uncommon. Cassian released her, and she hesitated. She could bolt, but there would be no point, other than saving herself from whatever disaster she was about to enter. But...if they were on the same mission, she'd rather take that chance to get it done. Talia rubbed her neck gently and sized him up.

Tall. Short dark hair. Small beard. Tired, brown eyes. He knew how to take a hit, and Talia respected that. He must've traveled often. Too often for comfort. Must've been a damn good spy, though. Good enough to go undetected. Cassian started his interrogation, "Who sent you here?"

"Fulcrum." Talia grabbed her gun from the ground and set it in the back of her pants underneath her dark gray tunic. "Who sent you?"

Cassian hadn't heard that name in a long time. Fulcrum wasn't a person. It was an alias used by several rebel informants over the years. He didn't know who sent her, but the sender must be getting antsy. The senators were in danger, and losing them would be a critical loss for the up-and-coming Rebellion. He blatantly ignored her question, and supplied one of his own, "Did they say why?"

"No. I was ordered to find out anything I could on what the senators know. That's it."

He studied her face. Calm. Serious. Her eyes stayed glued to his. She didn't clear her throat or swallow one too many times. The woman didn't raise her hands to touch her face or her hair. No signs of a tale. Cassian deemed her words as truthful. "What's your plan?"

Talia shrugged. "I was going to sleep with them and then interrogate them in a subtle manner. You know. Pillow talk." Cassian's expression got swept up in shock. He cleared his throat uncomfortably at the possibility. His reaction caused Talia to chuckle a little loudly. "I'm kidding. It's like you've never heard a joke before."

Cassian's expression fell. He stared hard at her and didn't crack a smile. What she said was dirty work. Something he hated, but knew all too well. He took out a few letters from his inside pocket and held them up. "I was sent here on a different mission. I copied their handwriting into a series of letters detailing an upcoming rebellion event. It would prove they're in charge of it, thus getting them into trouble."

"Then the senators would be safe. Smart." Talia crossed her arms. They were sent here on different missions, but why? She was supposed to gather intel from the suspected senators, while he was supposed to frame them. It made no sense. Then again, two very different people gave the orders. Different priorities were in line.

"Smart is what I do best." He handed her a letter to place in the desk as a sign of trust. She hadn't gained his complete trust, but it was enough to get them both through the mission as a team. "We'll do this together."

Talia wanted to scoff, but resisted the urge. A team? There was a reason the rebel spies didn't work together. If any of them were to get caught, they wouldn't know any information on anyone else. She was putting herself in danger by letting him see her face. She could see he studied her, much like she did to him. He wasn't one keen on leaving anything forgotten. "Maybe we're better off alone."

"Together is better than you being alone and getting caught."

Talia frowned. An unsettling feeling formed in the pit of her stomach. "Excuse me? I can handle myself, thank you very much."

Cassian ignored her comment and moved on. "Put the letter in the desk." She could give up his position if she was alone. Together, he can at least keep an eye on her and lie his way out of anything she throws at him.

She scowled at him and moved to the desk. She cleaned up the mess she had made earlier, and tried to put it back the way it had been. While she did that, Cassian watched the small camera screen he had connected to the bug in the hall. His eyes widened a bit and his nerves jumped. The senator is coming. "Stay calm." He was telling himself that more than to Talia. He grabbed his silenced blaster pistol and slowly moved up against the wall behind a tall plant.

"What?" Talia looked at him curiously. Either she heard him wrong, or she didn't know what he meant. She finished putting the files away, but still had to find a spot for the letter. "What are you doing?"

Cassian inhaled and exhaled deeply. He slid the camera screen into his pocket and focused. The senator walked into the room, and stood in shock at seeing Talia. The senator was about to say something until Cassian put his hand over her mouth and shot her in the back.

Built on Hope (Cassian Andor FF)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें