4. Surprise

Ren
She didn't talk to me before announcing it to her family! Sure I'm fine with her parents knowing that we are engaged but I wanted a better handle on things first.
I watch as Denver quickly makes her way around the table and upstairs. What's her problem? Oh I know. She simply doesn't care. She doesn't seem to care what people think of her. I admire that. Hell I admire her. Fuck! I need to stop thinking about my fiancee's sister. God I have issues. I look around the table and watch as Ruth and Tim gush over Paige and her ring.
  "I'm gonna step outside for some air." I tell Paige. "Are you okay babe?" She asks. I nod and make my way out side. I'm surprised to find Denver sitting on the porch in a plastic chair. She looks up at me and rolls her eyes. "Not enjoying yourself?" She asks sarcastically. "I could ask you the same thing." I respond. She laughs. "You don't have to ask me. I'm pretty sure it's clear that Paige and I don't get along." She says with a shrug. "But your still happy for her aren't you?" I ask. She laughs again and her eyes twinkle with a promiscuous glare. "I would tell you what I think but that would help no one in this case." She says. "Then tell me anyways." I say. She shakes her head and an old blue car pulls up. "Well thats my cue to go. If anyone asks I'm in my room." She says with a smirk before quickly leaving the porch and getting inside the car. A shrill of loud tribal sounds leaves the car in what I'm guessing is music. The car quickly pulls out and flys down the road and away from my sight. What is up with that girl?
I walk around the house and find a safe place. I pull out a pack of cigarettes and light one up. Paige hates it when I smoke. I know it's not about my health though. It's about her good girl imagine. That's another thing that Denver and Paige don't have in common. Paige would have never shown up anywhere high and I don't think she ever snuck out. Paige cares so much of what people think of her.
I finish the cigarette and make my way back inside. "Babe!" Paige calls from the kitchen sink. "Hey." I greet her. "Ready for bed?" She asks. "Sure." I answer. She smiles at me and winks. I laugh. She moves closer and wraps her arms around me. "Have you been smoking?" She asks. I don't answer for a moment. "Ren! You know I don't like that. It's not healthy." She says. I nod and kiss a trail down her neck. Her body relaxes and she giggles. "Ren. My parents will see." She whispers. "So what? We're engaged." I answer. She laughs and takes my hand. She leads me up stairs and to the first door on the right. 

                      Denver
  "That was fucking rough." Xavier says before taking a drink of his flavored water. "The worst part is that he got me cleaned up and sober." I answer. "I still don't like him." Xavier answers. "What's your problem with him?" I ask. "Well he kicked me out." Xavier answers. Nacho the puppy we adopted barks from the back of Xavier's car. "For some reason he didn't want us to get caught." I say. "Yeah. That really doesn't make sence. Why would he care?" Xavier asks. "Maybe he's just a nice guy." I say with a shrug. Xavier shrugs back in return. "They are getting married." I say. Xavier's eyes widen and a look I can't describe flashes through his eyes. "Married?" He asks. I nod and he blows out a breath. "Want a brownie?" He asks. "Sure." I answer. "Can you believe that someone is actaully gonna marry her snappy ass?" I ask. "Nevermind don't answer that. It's girls like that who always get husbands. I have no fucking clue why though." I say.
Xavier hands me a brownie and I eat it in record time. "Xavier?" I ask. "Yeah Den?" He answers. "What's it like for you? Getting high?" I ask. He looks at me and thinks for a moment. "I'm warm and happy and all the shit I was worrying about,is suddenly gone and I can be myself. It's a lot like being in love but without the pain."He answers with a solemn look. "Xav. You were in love?" I ask. He nods but doesn't say anything.
Soon the high wears off and we are sitting in Xavier's car eating chips. "Do you ever wonder if we are all just dolls. You know like someone is moving us but only we don't know because its all real to us." Xavier asks. For some reason when he's coming down from a high he becomes more thoughtful. Maybe he just says the things he keeps hidden though. "I have thought of it before. Suddenly it becomes very real and I get kind of scared. I panic and look up." I say. He laughs and shoves another chip in his mouth. "Me too." He answers. "Sometimes I wonder what's my purpose? Obviously nothing now. It's the summer after high school graduation and what do I have?" He asks. "Nothing." He answers. "Well you have a awesome car and we both have nacho." I answer. "I'm not kidding around though Denver. Your so smart you can go to college if you want and I'll just be left here. "He says looking down at the steering wheel."listen Xavier. Sometime life screws us  over royally. We had a plan for one thing and we got another. Sometimes life goes to fast and suddenly we don't know what we're doing anymore. It's true you don't have much but neither do I. I love you just the way you are. Your my best friend and I know you have potential. Its up to you to figure things out but never say that I'll leave you because you better believe that your my number one." I say looking him in the eyes. He takes my hand and smiles. "What would I do without you Den?" He asks. "Probably over think everything." I answer. "I know what we can do Denver." He says excitedly. "What?" I ask. "Let's travel. Let's pick up and not tell anyone and just travel." He says. "Xavier how? We don't have the money to just leave." I say. "I do. I  have money from when my grandma passed." He says. I think about it for a moment and my heart races. Could I just leave? "Maybe." I answer.

Hey guys please vote and comment! I'm for once actually really proud of this. What do you think?