8. Port Angeles

We made it to Port Angeles by four. Throughout the car ride I found myself quickly picking up on all the differences between Jessica and Angela apart from me. When they asked about me having past boyfriends, I nearly opened the car door and rolled right out. It was weird for me to admit out loud that I wasn't experienced in the whole boyfriend department. They gave me a look of disbelief. Back in Phoenix, I never really caught anyone's eye, or maybe I was too busy in my own world to notice.

We didn't waste time getting to the store to look at the dresses. Neither Jessica or Angela knew what they wanted. I followed them around the store awkwardly while they looked through the rows and rows of dresses. Periodically, they would ask me for my opinion and I would give them some halfhearted response.

Angela had been trying on a pair of gold strappy shoes. "I love them but they would only ever go with that dress," she sighed.

"They are pretty. You should get them. They are on sale," I said picking up the box and looking at the price.

"You're right," she said with a smile.

"So...um... do the Cullen's always miss a lot of school?" I tried to sneak the question in as if it were a random thought. I'm sure it was obvious that it wasn't, but Angela answered nonetheless. "The Cullen's do stay out a lot. They never come to school when the weather is nice. It's odd."

"Oh okay," I said wanting the topic to fade away.

We had planned on going to dinner after shopping, but they took a little longer than expected. Jess and Angela had left to go put the dresses in the car and walk down to the bay. I told them that I would meet them at the restaurant in an hour because there was this book store I wanted to go to.

When I found the book store I decided against going in. The store was overwhelming with little figurines here and there. Dream catchers hung everywhere I looked. I didn't really want to face the awkward encounter that I was bound to have by going to the store.

It had gotten dark quickly as I tried to find my way back to the main part of town. I failed miserably. I walked around looking for someone who looked friendly enough to give me directions, but the streets were empty. I saw a shop with lights still on and I began to head towards it to look for guidance. Just as I was about to reach the door the light shut off signaling they were closed. I sighed in frustration. I noticed that most of the other buildings around were warehouses that wouldn't offer me much help. I turned down an alley hoping that it might lead to the main street.

There was a group of younger guys standing on the far end of the alley. They all looked to be in their early twenties. I was about to turn on my heel when one of them caught sight of them of me. "Hey there," one of them called out to me in a funny-sounding voice. He was obviously drunk. I turned and nodded in response picking up my paste in the other direction. This won't end well. "Wait baby slow down!"

I could hear their footsteps coming towards me. My heart rate picked up. I began to a full-on sprint. Where to? I had no idea, but it was better than trying to find out their intentions. I rounded a corner and pressed my back to the brick wall trying to become one with it. For a moment, I heard nothing. When I was about to leave, I stepped off the wall and bumped right into one of the guys. "Shit," I said out of fear of his sudden appearance. "Over here guys!" he called.

Suddenly they were all there laughing and crowding around me. I could feel adrenaline running through my veins. "Such foul mouth for a pretty girl," the one closest to me cooed. He reached out to touch one of my braids but I caught his hand. "Don't touch me," I said.

"Just move and let me go on about my business," I spat.

"We just wanted to talk," one of them said in a sarcastic tone. I sighed and tried to take a step. The one who spoke pushed me and that was when I lost it. Memories of my dad taking me to boxing classes when I was young came back to me. I felt my fist connect with his jaw. I didn't really think about what I was doing. I just wanted to get them away from me. The guy fell to the ground. The punch to the face had caught them all by surprise. I took that as my moment to run. One of them tried to grab me and I turned and kicked him in his man parts. Serves him right. I continued running back towards the alley that I first saw them knowing that it connected with another road. The other two were on my heels when suddenly a familiar silver Volvo pulled up quickly and Edward jumped out of the car.

"Get in," he said simply. The look on his face told me not to argue with him. The two guys stopped in place. Anyone else would think that Edward was surely going to get his ass handed to him because he was outnumbered. But knowing what I know about Edward, I knew that he would be just fine. Seeing him was like taking the first breath after nearly drowning. He only looked at the guys and they started to retreat. What the hell? All he did was look and know they're scared shitless. I looked down to hand knowing it would be sore in the morning.

Edward got back in the car and sped off quickly. "Put your seat belt on," he commanded. I did as I was instructed. With the way, he was driving I surely needed it. He took a sudden turn left and I gasped. I looked at him like he was crazy. Why he was still driving like a bat out of hell was beyond me. If he didn't slow down, he was going to get a damn ticket.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

"No," he said angrily. I felt a sense of emotion. He was acting like this over me. Well, there went the thought of him not having feelings for me. Okay, bad timing to be trying to contemplate Edwards's feelings.

"Bella?"

"Yes?"

"Distract me," he demanded. I wasn't used to him being angry. I couldn't say I didn't like it much if you know what I mean.

"How?"

"Just talking about anything."

"Um...Tyler is telling everyone that he is taking me to prom. I think it's because he almost killed me." I laughed. He sighed and looked at me "That's not helping Isabella." he said. I noticed an accent to his voice wasn't usually there. I took note of it but thought that it would be best not to mention it. "Sorry," I said not knowing how to calm him down.

He leaned back on his seat and closed his eyes. "What's the matter?" I asked.

"I have a really bad temper, Bella," he said, his voice low. "It wouldn't be helpful to turn back hunt them down."

"If it makes you feel any better I punched one and kneed the other where the sun doesn't shine," I said. He gave me a small smile. "That does help actually."

"See I am not totally helpless," I said with a laugh.

"Angela and Jessica are going to be worried. I was supposed to meet them at a restaurant." I added.

***

I caught Jessica and Angela just as they were leaving. "Bella, where were you? We were so worried."

"I got lost and ran into Edward," I said oversimplifying the complicated story.

"Oh okay, well we already ate," Jessica said.

"Well, I'm not hungry," I said.

"I think you should eat something," Edward said.

"Do you mind if I drive Bella home?" He asked.

"If she is up for it?" Angela asked.

"Sure," I said trying not to sound as excited as I was.

***

"Table for two?" the hostess asked.

"Yes. Do you think you could find our table in the back?"

*** Ahhh that's the end of this chapter. Yes, I am going to leave you in slight suspense. *Evil laugh* I find that a lot of people really like this part. Well until next time my lovelies. Also, I didn't proofread this because I'm lazy trash so yep Xd. Vote, comment, and stay lit <3 - Tori***